[MARMAM] New publication on whistle comparison of delphinid species in Southeastern Brazil

Isabela Lima isabelaseabra.lima at gmail.com
Thu May 5 07:55:44 PDT 2016

Hello MarMam community,

We are pleased to announce our new publication: Whistle comparison of four
delphinid species in Southeastern Brazil, published online in JASA Express
Letters:

Lima, I.M.S; Andrade, L.G; Bittencourt, L.; Bisi, T.L.; Flach, L.;
Lailson-Brito Jr., J.; Azevedo, A.F.

Abstract: The present study evaluates variations in frequency and duration
parameters of whistles of four dolphin species (Sotalia guianensis,
Steno bredanensis, Stenella frontalis, and Tursiops truncatus), recorded
in the Rio de Janeiro State Coast, Southeastern Brazil. A total of 487
whistles were analyzed. Acoustic parameters of the whistles were classified
to species by discriminant function analysis. Overall classification
score was 72.5%, with the highest classification score obtained for
whistles of S. bredanensis and the lowest obtained for S. frontalis. Most
differences were among S. bredanensis and S. guianensis, species that
did not have their repertoires compared in other studies.

The publication is available online (
http://scitation.aip.org/content/asa/journal/jasa/139/5/10.1121/1.4947310)
or by request (isabelaseabra.lima at gmail.com)

Best regards,

Isabela Lima

--
Isabela Maria Seabra de Lima

Bióloga - Doutoranda no Programa de Pós-graduação em Ecologia e
Evolução/UERJ
Laboratório de Mamíferos Aquáticos e Bioindicadores - MAQUA
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro - UERJ
Rua São Francisco Xavier, 524 4º andar sala 4002 bloco E
Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro - RJ
CEP 20.550-013
Tel: 21 23340065