[MARMAM] Job Posting: Associate Stranding Biologist
ksanchez at cmaquarium.org
Mon Mar 21 13:24:10 PDT 2016
Job Posting: Associate Stranding Biologist
Well qualified applications should visit Seewinter.com/employment to apply.
The position will close 3/28/2016
POSITION TITLE: Associate Stranding Biologist
REPORTS TO: Stranding Coordinator
EXEMPT OR NON-EXEMPT: Non - Exempt / Grant Funded 5 year position
PERCENTAGE OF FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT: Full Time
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: To support the goals and objectives of the Clearwater Marine Aquarium Stranding Team as outlined by the Stranding Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Have a good working understanding of the Clearwater Marine Aquarium's Stranding Team and its function within the stranding community.
· Maintain the highest level of preparation for stranding response at all times.
· Aid in coordinating a rapid response to all stranded animal event.
· Participate in and oversee the daily operations of the stranding department including, but not limited to, completion of checklists, monitoring and response to stranding hotline, public stranding demonstrations, and paid stranding programs.
· Ensure the cleanliness and organization of the Critical Care Facility on a daily basis.
· Complete monthly inspections of Critical Care Facility based on NMFS Polices and Best Practices and USDA guidelines. Make recommendations for work orders.
· Complete all tasks necessary to monitor the 24-hour CMA Emergency Stranding Hotline including, but not limited to, protocols, training, scheduling, activity logs, and cell phone transfers.
· Maintain a comprehensive and updated stranding team membership database.
· Conduct workshops and trainings for CMA's Stranding Team Volunteers and Interns.
· Participate in the rehabilitation and release of stranded cetaceans.
· Maintain accurate and updated information on CMA's Cetacean Database, CMA's Photo Archive, and the NMFS Marine Mammal National Database.
· Collect quality data and complete required documentations (e.g. 24-hour report, Level A Data) for stranded animals.
· Develop and implement the Stranding Internship syllabus and provide daily training and supervision. Complete a minimum of two evaluations for each Stranding Intern.
· Participate in activities that promote or support the Stranding Department.
· Conduct public stranding demonstrations and/or paid stranding programs. Assist with training of new program hosts and monitor programs for appropriate content and quality.
· Participate in some or all aspects of various types of research projects, as deemed appropriate by CMA's research committee.
· Assist CMA's Development Department in the grant writing and/or research process.
· Assist with conducting necropsies and coordinate the disposal of carcasses.
· Maintain CMA's database for tissue samples and skeletal parts/complete skeletons and keep record of the transfer of parts.
· Maintain equipment and stranding vehicles and maintain inspection logs.
· Assist all animal care departments in the oversight of the CCF freezers including an on-going record of the contents, storage, and removal.
· Develop and implement educational outreach material to promote public conservation awareness. This includes the creation & oversight of social media platforms under the direction of Stranding Coordinator.
· Responsible for implementing stranding training and maintaining working relationships with law enforcement in CMA's designated response area.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS/EDUCATION:
· Bachelor's degree in related discipline from an accredited college/university
· Minimum of 1 year (consecutive or combined) experience (paid or non-paid) in the Marine Mammal Stranding Network
· Capacity to withstand extreme outdoor temperatures
· Ability to lift up to 50lbs
· Valid driver's license
· Must pass the CMA Stranding Team swim test with a total of 80 points or higher
· Proven written communication skills, preferably in research and/or grant writing
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and related software programs (e.g. Microsoft Outlook; ArcGIS)
· Excellent organizational and data entry skills.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
· Possess good judgment, flexibility in responding to changing priorities, and be able to work as a team member and function well under pressure
The Clearwater Marine Aquarium reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
Senior Stranding Biologist /Education Specialist
Clearwater Marine Aquarium
249 Windward Passage
Clearwater, FL 33767
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 11006 bytes
More information about the MARMAM