[MARMAM] New book on listening in the ocean

Marc Lammers lammers at hawaii.edu
Sun Mar 13 14:46:51 PDT 2016

Greetings colleagues,

Apologies for cross postings.  On behalf of my co-editor Whitlow Au and
our co-authors, I would like to bring to your attention a new book
recently published by Springer you might find of interest:

Au, W.W.L. and Lammers, M.O., eds. (2016) _Listening in the Ocean._
Springer, New York. 416 p.

This title brings to light the discoveries and insights into the lives
of many marine species made possible over the last decade by passive
acoustic recorders (PAR). Pop-ups, ARF, HARP, EAR, Bprobe, C-POD Atag,
and Dtag are the acronyms of some of the many PARs that have changed our
understanding of how marine animals live and strive in the ocean.
Various types of PARs are used by different investigators in different
areas of the world. These recorders have accumulated copious amounts of
very important data, unveiling previously unknown information about
large marine animals. Temporal, seasonal and spatial distribution
patterns have been uncovered for many marine species. There have been
many discoveries, new understandings and insights into how these animals
live in and utilize the ocean and the importance of acoustics in their
lives. Listening in the Ocean summarizes these important discoveries,
providing both a valuable resource for researchers and enjoyable reading
for non-professionals interested in marine life.

You can find more information and purchase the book or individual
chapters at: http://www.springer.com/us/book/9781493931750

Aloha,
Marc

--

*Marc O. Lammers, PhD*
Associate Researcher | Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology
Fax: +1-808-572-9000 | lammers at hawaii.edu