[MARMAM] Subject: : Internship opportunity in the Azores, Pico Island, May-September 2016

Nova Atlantis oceanwatch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 13:49:31 PDT 2016

*I**nternship opportunity in the Azores, Pico Island, May-September 2016*

 The Nova Atlantis Foundation (www.nova-atlantis.org)  is preparing its 17th
fieldwork season, dedicated to studying the social ecology of the Risso´s
dolphin around Pico island. Next to the continuation of the Risso project
we will conduct  cetacean monitoring surveys, focusing on the deep diving
species such as pilot whales and beaked whales. Pico island  is an
excellent area to learn and gain experience at sea and to observe over 15
species of cetaceans during the summer season.

We are seeking volunteers and/or (biology) students for the period *May to
September*. Candidates should be available for at least 2 months.  We may
make exceptions for potential participants to apply for a shorter
placement. Volunteers must be self-motivated, with the drive and
determination to work independently and responsibly, and with a true
interest in marine conservation and animal behaviour.

The internship includes:

-       An intensive training on monitoring protocol, cetacean
identification and data processing

-        Sea-surveys and land based data collection

-        Data processing

The 2 month internship requires a  payment of *500 €* to cover running
field work costs. Expenses for  travelling to and from the field worksite,
accommodation and food are not included in this fee.   The Nova Atlantis
Foundation offers accommodation in collaboration with a local family in
Santa Cruz das Ribeiras (175 EUR per month, all inclusive-ex food). Interns
are free to find their own accommodation in the Ribeiras area as well.

Fieldwork is highly weather dependent and requires consecutive long days of
work at sea and from land. On a typical field day we split the team in a
land crew and a sea crew and work in shifts allowing all to rotate and gain
experience in several methodologies. We use rough weather days for data
entry or as a day off.

Application deadline is 31st March.

 *To apply please send a short letter (state which period you prefer) and a
short CV to: **oceanwatch at gmail.com* <oceanwatch at gmail.com>*. *

Dr. Karin Louise Hartman

--
Karin Hartman