[MARMAM] International Whale Stranding Data

Watkins, Oona owatkins at oceana.org
Mon Jun 20 11:54:35 PDT 2016

Hi fellow whale friends,

My name is Oona Watkins, and I am a research fellow for the Climate and Energy team at Oceana. I am working with several colleagues in Washington, D.C. on a mapping project to analyze and investigate the relationship between seismic airgun surveys and whale strandings/mortalities. I am researching regions across the globe where seismic blasting for oil and gas exploration has occurred since 2012, and I am currently in the process of gathering whale stranding data in these same geographic areas so that I can compare the two.

I am reaching out to the listserve to see if any of you could provide some help in my data collection process. Does anyone have access to whale stranding data from the years 2012-2016 in the following regions?

*         The Gulf of Mexico (US or Mexican waters)

*         The North Atlantic offshore Eastern Canada

*         The North Sea

*         Western Australia

*         New Zealand

*         Western Africa

Those are the hotspots I am focusing on, but if you know of stranding data elsewhere, I could certainly incorporate it. Are there recommendations for specific contacts I should reach out to or other places I should direct my search?

We hope to use this study to better our understanding of how seismic airgun blasting might be affecting marine mammals. Any data or help you can offer me is greatly appreciated. Please send information to owatkins at oceana.org<mailto:owatkins at oceana.org> or ibiedron at oceana.org<mailto:ibiedron at oceana.org>. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Best,
Oona

Oona Watkins |  Climate and Energy Fellow
1350 Connecticut Ave. NW, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20036 USA
T +1.202.467.1921
E owatkins at oceana.org<mailto:owatkins at oceana.org> | W www.oceana.org<http://www.oceana.org/>