[MARMAM] New publication on the stranding of a pregnant Cuvier's beaked whale in Brazil

Guilherme Augusto Bortolotto bortolotto.ga at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:58:39 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper in the
Marine Biodiversity Records:

Bortolotto G.A., Morais I.O.B, Ferreira P.R.B., Reis M.S.S and Souto L.R.A.
(2016) *Anthropogenic impact on a pregnant Cuvier’s beaked whale (Ziphius
cavirostris) stranded in Brazil*. *Mar Biodivers Rec*, 9:30. DOI
10.1186/s41200-016-0055-0.

Abstract
*Background*: Because of their usually cryptic behaviour, most knowledge on
the biology of beaked whales are from records of stranded animals. Although
the Cuvier’s beaked whale (*Ziphius cavirostris*) is the best known species
of the ziphiidae family, little information on its reproduction is
available.
*Results*: Here we report on the stranding of a dead pregnant female with
clear signs of anthropogenic impact, including the presence of a fishing
artefact in the stomach.
*Conclusions*: The region of the stranding (north-eastern coast of Brazil)
is an area of increasing interest for oil and gas exploitation.
Conservation concerns may arise from findings such as the one presented and
discussed here.

Full text and pdf files can be found here:
http://mbr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41200-016-0055-0

Please send *pdf requests* for bortolotto.vet at gmail.com.

All the best,

Gui Bortolotto