[MARMAM] New publication on passive acoustic monitoring of Hawaiian spinner dolphins

Heather Heenehan hheenehan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 07:05:01 PDT 2016

On behalf of my coauthors I would like to announce the following paper
published in JASA earlier this month.

Passive acoustic monitoring of coastally associated Hawaiian spinner
dolphins, Stenella longirostris, ground-truthed through visual surveys
Heather L. Heenehan, Julian A. Tyne, Lars Bejder, Sofie M. Van Parijs and
David W. Johnston

http://scitation.aip.org/content/asa/journal/jasa/140/1/10.1121/1.4955094

Abstract: Effective decision making to protect coastally associated
dolphins relies on monitoring the presence of animals in areas that are
critical to their survival. Hawaiian spinner dolphins forage at night and
rest during the day in shallow bays. Due to their predictable presence,
they are targeted by dolphin-tourism. In this study, comparisons of
presence were made between passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) and
vessel-based visual surveys in Hawaiian spinner dolphin resting bays.
DSG-Ocean passive acoustic recording devices were deployed in four bays
along the Kona Coast of Hawai‘i Island between January 8, 2011 and August
30, 2012. The devices sampled at 80 kHz, making 30-s recordings every four
minutes. Overall, dolphins were acoustically detected on 37.1% to 89.6% of
recording days depending on the bay. Vessel-based visual surveys overlapped
with the PAM surveys on 202 days across the four bays. No significant
differences were found between visual and acoustic detections suggesting
acoustic surveys can be used as a proxy for visual surveys. Given the need
to monitor dolphin presence across sites, PAM is the most suitable and
efficient tool for monitoring long-term presence/absence. Concomitant
photo-identification surveys are necessary to address changes in abundance
over time.

If you do not have access to JASA and/or the article please feel free to
email me.

Best,
-Heather
Heather Heenehan, Ph.D.
http://sites.duke.edu/heatherheenehan/
@Spinnerheather <https://twitter.com/SpinnerHeather>

Ph.D., Marine Science and Conservation, Duke University
MEM, Master of Environmental Management, Coastal Environmental Management,
Duke University
BS, Bachelor of Science, Environmental Science, University of Connecticut

"Let the beauty we love be what we do." -Jelaluddin Rumi