[MARMAM] New publication: First records of dwarf sperm whale (Kogia sima) from the Union of the Comoros

Marco Bonato marco.bonato at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 22:46:57 PDT 2016

Dear Colleagues

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent publication on Marine Biodiversity Records:

Bonato M, Webber MA, Attoumane A, Giacoma C. (2016) First records of dwarf sperm whale (Kogia sima) from the Union of the Comoros. Marine Biodiversity Records 9:37. DOI: 10.1186/s41200-016-0064-z

Abstract: The world distribution of dwarf and pygmy sperm whales (Cetacea: Kogiidae) [Kogia spp.] is poorly known, and derived mostly from records of stranded animals. At sea, both species are elusive and difficult to identify. We photo-documented the presence of dwarf sperm whale (Kogia sima) in the waters of the Union of the Comoros. All three occurrences were sightings of apparently healthy animals from 2011 to 2013 in and near Itsandra Bay, off the island of Grande Comore. We discuss the importance of the Mozambique Channel and the Agulhas Current Large Marine Ecosystem for the species in the Western Indian Ocean.

Full text and pdf file are available at: http://mbr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41200-016-0064-z

For further information on this article please write to marco.bonato at gmail.com or marco.bonato at unito.it

Best Regards

Marco Bonato

"... un viaggio puo' durare 3 giorni, ma raccontare una vita intera ..."
"... a voyage could be only 3 days long , but talk about all life ..."
"... un voyage peut prendre trois jours, mais raconter une vie entière …"

Marco Bonato, PhD
Research Fellow at @
@ L.A.S.A. (Lab of Analysis of Environmental System) at Department of Industrial engineering of  University of Padova
Via Marzolo 9, 35131 Padova - Italy
@ Department of Comparative Biomedicine and Food Science
Viale dell'Università 16, 35020 Legnaro (PD) - Polo di Agripolis
- Collaborator at ETOLAB of Department of Life Science and Systems Biology of University of Torino
Via Accademia Albertina 13, 10125 Torino - Italy
- P.A.D.I. Divemaster 981444
LASA on web: http://147.162.77.55/
LIFE WSTORE2 project: http://www.wstore2.eu
LIFE VIMINE project: http://www.lifevimine.eu