[MARMAM] Job announcement-Veterinary technician (Clearwater Marine Aquarium)

Shelly Marquardt smarquardt at cmaquarium.org
Wed Jul 27 11:57:06 PDT 2016

Clearwater Marine Aquarium's mission is to restore and preserve our marine environment. We accomplish our mission through leadership in education, research, and the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of marine life. Everyone here plays an integral role in working toward the accomplishment of our mission. We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.

POSITION TITLE:  Veterinary Technician
REPORTS TO: Veterinarian
EXEMPT OR NON-EXEMPT: Non-exempt
PERCENTAGE OF FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT: 100%

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to work in adverse environmental conditions, lift and carry 50 lbs, must be able to stand for long periods of time.

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY:
To assist the veterinarian and husbandry staff in the daily operations of maintaining the health and wellbeing of CMA’s resident and rehabilitating animals.

ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
•              Participate in the rapid response to all resident and stranded animal events including those that occur during non-scheduled times of work or outside of CMA’s operating hours.
•              Collect, or assist with collection of, biological samples from resident and rehabilitating animals
•              Process all samples for evaluation by the Veterinarian and/or submission to outside laboratories.
•              Participate in some or all aspects of the various types of research projects as deemed appropriate by CMA’s research committee and Veterinarian.
•              Enter lab results in animal record system.
•              Assist Veterinarian and Husbandry staff in the daily rounds/treatments, surgical procedures and necropsies.
•              Perform or assist and maintain digital radiographs and CT scans as necessary.
•              Maintain surgical suite and laboratory in a clean and organized manner.
•              Adhere to all OSHA, USDA, DEA and FWC regulations and make recommendations for work orders to ensure compliance in all areas.
•              Maintain biohazardous waste and sharps disposal program.
•              Administer, or dispense to Husbandry staff for administration, medications according to the Veterinarian’s prescriptions in compliance to DEA standards for controlled substances.
•              Ensure medical equipment is properly maintained, cleaned and stored after each use.
•              Correspond and coordinate with veterinarian regarding animal care, medical procedures and rehabilitation.
•              Conduct weekly inventory on medications and submit purchase orders to the veterinarian for re-ordering.
•              Ability to calculate amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
•              Ability to communicate clearly both in writing and verbally, especially as it pertains to SOP’s.
•              Ability to follow complex instructions, both verbal and written.
•              Participate in various PR and media events including professional interviews as deemed necessary or appropriate by the Veterinarian.
•              Perform other duties as assigned.

EDUCATIONAL/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
•              Certified Veterinarian Technician
•              Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, word, power point etc).
•              Minimum of five years working in related field in aquarium or zoo industry
•              Knowledge of medical procedures and rehabilitation of sea turtles and marine mammals

To apply, email cover letter and resume to Dawn De Santis, Vice President of Human Resources ddesantis at cmaquarium.org