[MARMAM] Employment announcement (Rescue Program Director)
KDurham at riverheadfoundation.org
Thu Jul 21 05:23:07 PDT 2016
Attn: Marmam Community,
The Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation (RFMRP) is announcing a job opening for an experienced Rescue Program Director. The RFMRP is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization whose mission is to protect our marine environment through education, rehabilitation, and research. The RFMRP is a member of the Greater Atlantic Region Stranding Network and is located within the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center in Riverhead, New York.
* Provide liaison between veterinarian staff and animal care/husbandry staff
* Provide clinical management as prescribed by RFMRP veterinary staff
* Oversee all aspects of health assessments and medical procedures as directed by veterinary staff including, but not limited to, performing physical examination and conducting blood draws, and administering IV fluids and medication to pinnipeds, sea turtles, and cetaceans
* Respond to calls reporting stranded marine mammals and sea turtles and provide education to the public via "Hotline" coverage.
* Prepare, organize, manage and provide training programs for volunteer staff
* Manage all maintenance of data records and databases
* Oversee maintenance programs for all medical and water quality equipment
* Provide liaison with the Regional and National Stranding Networks, interact with state (NYS Department of Environmental Conservation) and local municipalities in all matters relating to the operation of the Stranding Investigations Program
* Provide liaison to Riverhead Foundation's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).
* Provide support to educational outreach programs and assist with the instruction of local university marine mammal and sea turtle rehabilitation class.
* Assist with and/or perform post mortem examinations inclusive of field necropsies of marine mammals and sea turtles.
* Manage and provide response, husbandry and medical care for pinniped, cetacean and sea turtle species recovered by the RFMRP's Rescue and Rehabilitation Program
* Provide assistance with grant writing, final and departmental report publications.
* Assist with production and publication of data originating from the Stranding Investigations Program via professional meetings.
* Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in Biology, Marine Science or related field.
* Advanced degree preferred.
* Demonstrated management experience.
* Minimum of 10 years experience in marine mammal and sea turtle stranding, species identification or other related marine mammal and sea turtle activities.
* Minimum of 10 years of animal triage and husbandry of marine mammal and sea turtle species.
* Certification in Veterinary Technology required
* A valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
* Experience driving large trucks
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong leadership skills in routine and emergency situations.
* Strong organizational and time management skills.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, GIS and Access software.
* Working knowledge of life support systems and equipment used within aquariums (pumps, filtration units, ozone generators)
Typical Physical Demands:
Candidate will engage in moderate to a high level of physical activity daily (i.e., performing husbandry duties). Position will require work within extreme weather conditions for long hours, sometimes overnight. Candidates should be able to lift 50 pounds and otherwise be is good physical condition.
About the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation
The Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation (RFMRP) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization whose mission is to protect our marine environment through education, rehabilitation, and research. The RFMRP is a member of the Greater Atlantic Region Stranding Network and is located within the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center in Riverhead, New York. The RFMRP is dedicated to the response, rehabilitation and release of pinnipeds, sea turtles and cetacean species. The rehabilitation facility is the largest pinniped rehabilitation facility and the only long-term cetacean rehabilitation facility within Northeastern United States. The RFMRP's Rescue and Rehabilitation Program responds to approximately 250 stranded marine mammals and sea turtles annually. The RFMRP's Aquatic Animal Health and Conservation Program is dedicated to providing educational outreach programs to the public to further conservation and promote environmental stewardship of the coastal and marine environment.
Please send your cover letter and resume to careers at riverheadfoundation.org<mailto:careers at riverheadfoundation.org>
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rescue Program Director
Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation
467 East Main Street
Riverhead, New York 11901
[Blue Green Logo 300 DPI]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 9119 bytes
More information about the MARMAM