[MARMAM] New publication on Young humpback whale feeding in Southern Brazil and a ship strike report

Guilherme Augusto Bortolotto bortolotto.ga at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 03:31:42 PDT 2016

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our most recent publication in
the Marine Biodiversity Records:

Bortolotto GA, Kolesnikovas CKM , Freire AS and Simões-Lopes PC (2016) *Young
humpback whale Megaptera novaeangliae feeding in Santa Catarina coastal
waters, Southern Brazil, and a ship **strike report*. *Marine Biodiversity
Records*, 9:29. DOI 10.1186/s41200-016-0043-4.

Abstract
*Background*: Humpback whales *Megaptera novaeangliae* are cosmopolitan and
highly migratory animals that rarely feed in low latitude waters during
their breeding seasons. The western South Atlantic humpback whale
population breeds off the Brazilian coast, from Natal (4°S) to Cabo Frio
(23°S) and migration to their feeding grounds is known to be undertaken
through offshore waters.
*Results*: Here we report on an unusual stranding of a young humpback whale
that was feeding in the coastal waters of Santa Catarina state (27°S), in
October 2014. Evidence of a ship strike and that the animal had fed in no
more than a few hours before death are also presented. Additionally, it is
the first time that *Peisos petrunkevitchi*, a sergestid shrimp species, is
described as prey for large whales.
*Conclusions*: Although more information is required before we can further
discuss whether the area could provide an important source of food for
young humpback whales, the present ship strike highlights a possibly
important threat in case this ecological feature is confirmed in the future.

Full text and PDF files for download can be found in the following links:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301671042_Young_humpback_whale_Megaptera_novaeangliae_feeding_in_Santa_Catarina_coastal_waters_Southern_Brazil_and_a_ship_strike_report
Or
https://mbr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41200-016-0043-4

Alternatively, please send PDF requests to bortolotto.vet at gmail.com.