[MARMAM] Antarctic Cetacean Field Technician Position

Friedlaender, Ari Ari.Friedlaender at oregonstate.edu
Sun Jul 10 18:26:00 PDT 2016

I would like to post the following job opportunity (please include my contact details at the bottom of the message for applicants to submit to):

Antarctic Cetacean Field Technician Position

We seek a qualified research technician to participate the National Science Foundation supported Palmer Long-Term Ecological Research program at Palmer Station from 28 December 2016 – 28 May 2017.  The goals of our research program are to understand the effects of climate-driven changes on the demography, behavior, and ecology of baleen whales through multi-disciplinary and long-term study.
The successful applicant will be based at the NSF-run Palmer Station on the western side of the Antarctic Peninsula and work with a second field team member to conduct visual surveys, photo-ID, and biopsy sampling of baleen whales from inflatable boats.  As well, the field team will conduct routine active acoustic surveys of krill in the region.   Field work will be done daily as conditions permit throughout the period.  The applicant will be expected to conduct all field work, process samples, manage databases, help maintain equipment, participate in outreach activities, and be an active member of the Palmer Station community.
Applicants must have experience in:

•      biopsy sample collection and processing (satellite tagging experience is highly recommended)

•      photo-ID collection and database management

•      visual surveys

•      small-boat driving/handling

•      working in extreme field conditions

Travel to and from Antarctica will be paid for and stipend/salary is available.  The successful candidate will be required to pass NSF-mandated medical and dental examinations before being cleared to deploy.
Please submit a resume/cv, and cover letter that includes contact information for 3 references to the address below.  We will accept applications until the position is filled.

Thank you.

Ari Friedlaender
ari.friedlaender at oregonstate.edu<mailto:ari.friedlaender at oregonstate.edu>

Ari S. Friedlaender, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Fisheries & Wildlife
Marine Mammal Institute
Oregon State University
Hatfield Marine Science Center
2030 SE Marine Science Drive