[MARMAM] SMM Australia/New Zealand Student Chapter Membership

Katherine Indeck k.indeck at uq.edu.au
Mon Jan 25 15:41:23 PST 2016

Hello Australian and New Zealand Students!

First off, the ANZ Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy would like to introduce its new chapter heads: Kate Indeck, Cecilia Passadore, Emily Wilson and Jessica Patiño Pérez. We look forward to meeting those of you that are already members, and to talking with those that are interested in joining!

That being said, the ANZSC is eager to recruit new members in the coming year. The chapter provides an opportunity for those studying in Australia and New Zealand to share ideas, start discussions and keep in touch with students from different labs and universities across the region. Our primary objective is to organise the 3rd ANZ Student Chapter Meeting, which we hope to hold late this year. This conference will give participants the chance to present and discuss their research in a relaxed environment while meeting and networking with other marine mammalogy students and researchers.

If you are not yet a member of the student chapter but are interested in joining, please fill out a membership registration form from (https://www.marinemammalscience.org/for-students/chapters/australianew-zealand-smm-student-chapter/).

Last but not least, we would like to extend membership to any interested students from the South Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia. While we realise that geographic separation will limit our ability to facilitate face-to-face meetings, we also recognise the need for every student and young professional to have accessible to them a forum for networking beyond their immediate academic/research location. As such, we would encourage students from these regions to apply for membership, join the Australian/New Zealand Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/216733571703949/ ), and get involved with any and all of our research-related discussions!

For any questions regarding membership or chapter activities, please contact us at anzscsmm at gmail.com<mailto:anzscsmm at gmail.com>.

Sincerely,

Kate Indeck
The Cetacean Ecology and Acoustics Laboratory, University of Queensland

Cecilia Passadore, Emily Wilson
Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Laboratory, Flinders University

Jessica Patiño Pérez
Coastal Marine Research Group, Massey University