[MARMAM] Application Extension Living Seas Volunteer Coordinator Assistant (Volunteer) at Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Thu Jan 21 05:44:16 PST 2016

WTSWW_high_res_logoCBMWC logo without boarderCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Assistant Volunteer Coordinator 2016

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting an Living Seas
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator for the 2016 season (14th March to 31st
October) to help coordinate our volunteers and get involved with our
research and education work.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales,
UK. Since 1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local
marine environment through education and research. Using boat-based and
land-based surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose
dolphin, harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan
Bay Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. We also run a
busy visitor centre as well as an education and activity room which offers
marine educational and awareness raising activities for families, school and
groups. In April 2015 we became part of the Wildlife Trust of South and West
Wales (WTSWW) and will be delivering the trusts Living Seas programme.

Role Description

Volunteering for the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales at CBMWC is a
fantastic opportunity for you to learn about running a small but very active
marine conservation group, to develop skills in volunteer coordination and
gain leadership experience. You will also meet new people who share your
interests, learn about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, experience
Wales’ marine life and gain valuable field work experience.

The assistant will work with and assist the Living Seas Volunteer
Coordinator to:

·         Manage and coordinate CBMWC’s team of volunteers

·         Train volunteers in species ID, marine mammal surveying and data
entry

·         Assist with the analysis of Dolphin Watch data collected in New
Quay

·         Organise and promote events e.g. public beach cleans

·         Provide engaging content across CBMWC’s social media

·         Produce newsletters for our Adoption Scheme

The assistant will also be involved with all other activities including
running our busy visitor centre and conducting research (land and boat based
marine mammal surveys).

Essential skills and qualifications

·         Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication
skills

·         Leadership skills

·         Approachable

·         Experience of team working

·         IT literate

·         Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working

·         Proactive with ability to work unsupervised

·         Responsible, flexible and mature attitude

Desirable Skills:

·         Experience of managing small teams

·         Experience in updating Word press websites

Volunteering Dates:

The successful applicants must be available to start on 14th March and
volunteer for the entire field season until 31st October. In the past our
volunteers have worked up to 8 hours a day six days a week.

Volunteer fee

An administration fee of £45 will be required from all successful
applicants.

Accommodation and expenses:

Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be
arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per
week, including bills. Please be aware that volunteers share same sex
bedrooms. Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and
accommodation costs but it is very easy to find part time work in New Quay.

Due to payment arrangements with the house owners, accommodation payments
for each block (8 weeks) are required in advance.

To apply:

Download a volunteer application form from our website
www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/volunteer-co-ordinator/ and email it along with a CV
and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) outlining how you meet the
personal specification and your motivations for applying to
volunteer at cbmwc.org with ‘Volunteer Coordinator Assistant 2016’ in your
subject line.

Incomplete applications will not be assessed so please make sure you
complete the form fully, including availability and be sure to attach your
CV and covering letter

The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 7th February 2016

For further information

Visit www.cbmwc.org/

If you have any questions please email volunteer at cbmwc.org with an
appropriate subject line or call Laura on 01545 560224.

-----------------------------

Sarah Perry

Living Seas Science Officer

Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales