[MARMAM] ECS conference - 4th workshop on Communicating marine mammal science to the general public

Volker Smit smit at m-e-e-r.de
Sat Jan 23 02:06:09 PST 2016

Dear all,

  the 30th Annual Conference of the European Cetacean Society on the
  beautiful island of Madeira is approaching and so is our educational
  workshop. This workshop will take place in the premises of the Madeira
  Whale Musuem.

For more in detail information refer to the information below or visit
the ECS homepage and the workshop section.

*Sunday, 13th March (full day)*, contact Luigi Bundone
(luigi.bundone at unive.it <mailto:luigi.bundone at unive.it>)

*Participation fee  €25*

This workshop is organised by the NGO M.E.E.R, Berlin, Germany
(www.m-e-e-r.org <http://www.m-e-e-r.org/>), Archipelagos, Ambiente e
Sviluppo Italia, Dolphin Watch Alliance and the Madeira Whale Museum.

The workshop will take place at the* Madeira Whale Museum* with a
presentation and guided tour by the museums' staff. There will be a
transport organized for the workshop participants from the conference
venue in Funchal to the museum in Canical (approx. 30 minutes one way)
which is included in the workshop fee of 25 Euros.

For any questions regarding registration and details referring to the
programme - which will be send to you on request - please mail to: Luigi
Bundone (luigi.bundone at unive.it <mailto:luigi.bundone at unive.it>). You
may also download the workshop programme*from the ECS webpage:
*http://europeancetaceansociety.eu/conference/workshops-0#4th workshop
on Communicating marine mammal science to the general public4th workshop
on Communicating marine mammal science to the general public*
*
<http://europeancetaceansociety.eu/sites/default/files/ECS2016%20_workshop%2011%20-%20Communicating%20marine%20mammal%20science_education_Programme.pdf>

*
Aims:*

. share information about sources related to education,

. exchange ideas and knowledge in new science teaching tools,

. exchange experience in addressing the media,

. foster general networking with all stakeholders,

. exchange about the outreach of education and

. support ECS to address educational questions.

*Summary:*After the workshops in Setubal, 2013, Liège in 2014 and on
Malta 2015 we want to continue to share educational and outreaching
experiences of communicating marine mammal science to schools and to the
general public. These experiences can be educational programs that
support school curricula, pedagogical outreach materials such as books,
videos, kits, activities and exhibitions. As in recent years we will
focus on the theme of the conference: "Into the Deep: Research and
Conservation on Oceanic Marine Mammals". For an introductionary round
during the workshop we would kindly ask all the participants -- if
applicable - to prepare 1-2 powerpoint slides showing their involvement
in education and present it to the workshop participants during a max.
of 2-3 minutes.

At the end of the introductionary round we will run a short
brainstorming session where the participants have the opportunity to
give some input on what they want to get out of the workshop. The
workshop is open to researchers, educators, science teachers, students
and to the media and will allow a maximum of 25 participants.

Volker Smit

2.Vorsitzender - vice-president

M.E.E.R. e.V.
Office