[MARMAM] New report on cetacean abundance and distribution from two antarctic cruises

Sacha Viquerat sacha.vsop at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 04:29:15 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,
I am pleased to announce the release of our report from two cetacean
surveys on board of Antarctic expeditions during the austral summers of
2008 and 2010. The english summary contains the major points of the report,
whereas the full german report elaborates the analysis steps and discusses
the findings in detail.

The main results are stratum estimates for Minke, Humpback and large whales
in general for 5 Strata between Neumayer Station III and the Western
Antarctic peninsula and a comparison of automated detection systems (IR
camera) and bridge personnel observations versus dedicated cetacean
observers under mitigation and population estimate aspects.

The unabridged german report can be found under the following link:

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/publikationen/erhebung-auswertung-von-daten-vorkommen-zu

The english summary is available at:

http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/publikationen/collection-analysis-of-data-on-occurrence

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me!

Cheers, Sacha
Sacha Viquerat
University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Foundation
Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research (ITAW)
Werftstr. 6
25761 Büsum
Germany
+49 511 856-8172