[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Science & Ecosystem-based Management Master's degrees at the University of St Andrews, UK

Sonja Heinrich sh52 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Jan 20 07:14:39 PST 2016

Master's programmes at the University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK -

Marine Mammal Science & Ecosystem-based Management of Marine Systems

We are currently accepting applications for our unique and intense one-year Master's programmes at the University of St Andrews in Scotland, UK for 2016/17 entry.

The Master's in Marine Mammal Science (MSc MMS ) reflects the research interests and expertise of the staff at the Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU). This unique Master's has a strong focus on quantitative methods and applied techniques and is designed to prepare students fully for professional careers involved with conservation of and research into marine mammals. We had a fantastic turn-out of our past Master's students at the recent SMM in San Francisco with 40 alumni attending (and most also presenting at) the conference - see our course blog<http://synergy.st-andrews.ac.uk/biopostgraduate/2015/12/24/marine-mammal-science-a-big-world-made-small/>. Compulsory modules include marine mammal biology, conservation and management of marine mammals as well as mathematical ecology and statistical modelling. Optional modules<http://synergy.st-andrews.ac.uk/biopostgraduate/msc-marine-mammal-science/details/> take full advantage of the research strengths of the SMRU<http://www.smru.st-andrews.ac.uk/> including biologging, bioacoustics, behaviour and population biology. The optional Antarctica field course involves a vessel-based field expedition to the Antarctic Peninsula (requires additional payment of a substantial expedition fee) - you can follow our upcoming fourth student expedition on the Antarctic expedition blog<http://www.smru.st-andrews.ac.uk/antarctic>. For detailed information on the Marine Mammal Masters including content, entry requirements and how to apply please refer to the MSc MMS website: http://bio.st-andrews.ac.uk/mms/.

The Master's in Ecosystem-based Management of Marine Systems (MSc EMMS) is jointly delivered by the Scottish Oceans Institute<http://soi.st-andrews.ac.uk/> (SOI) at St Andrews and the Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) at the West coast of Scotland, offering the best of both Scottish coasts. Students study marine environments from the tropics to polar regions as integrated systems, exploring interconnections between the physical environment, biodiversity and the impacts of human activity and resource use. Students can opt to join the Antarctic expedition (see above) or take a field course in scientific diving in Indonesia (both at extra cost). For detailed information including content, entry requirements and how to apply please refer to the MSc EMMS website: http://synergy.st-andrews.ac.uk/biopostgraduate/

Applications for the upcoming academic year (starting in September 2016) must be received by Friday, 01 April 2016, and should be submitted online via the St Andrews Postgraduate Admission Portal: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/pg/apply/taught/.

Please get in touch if you have further questions, via email: pgtaughtbiology at st-andrews.ac.uk<mailto:pgtaughtbiology at st-andrews.ac.uk>

Best wishes from Scotland,

Sonja

Dr Sonja Heinrich

Postgraduate Taught Convenor, School of Biology, University of St Andrews

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland: No SC013532