[MARMAM] New publication about "Summer distribution of beluga whales in the Sea of Okhotsk"

Dmitri Glazov glazovd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 00:41:58 PST 2016

Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to announce the publication of our research

Summer distribution of beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas) in the Sea of
Okhotsk
Solovyev B.A., Shpak O.V., Glazov D.M., Rozhnov V.V., Kuznetsova D.M.
RUSSIAN JOURNAL OF THERIOLOGY, 2015, 14(2) P. 201-215

The summer distribution of beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas) in the Sea
of Okhotsk is typical for boreal and subarctic seas that are seasonally ice
covered and support numerous anadromous fish species. During summer in the
Sea of Okhotsk, beluga whales aggregate where rivers flow into estuaries,
gulfs, and bays. Beluga whales are currently found in Sakhalinskiy Bay (in
an estuary of the Amur River), the Shantar region, in portions of Shelikhov
Bay, and along the northwestern coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula. Changes
in beluga whale distribution have occurred when compared to results of
earlier studies. In particular, summer aggregations have increased in the
Shantar region and along the northwestern coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula.

http://zmmu.msu.ru/rjt/articles/ther14_2_201_215_Solovyev_et_al_for_Inet.pdf

Articles available at link above or email: glazovd at gmail.com

Best regards

Dmitry Glazov
Deputy head of Russian White Whale Program
www.sevin-expedition.ru

A.N. Severtsov Institute of the Ecology and Evolution,
Russian Academy of Sciences
33 Leninskiy prosp., Moscow, 119071, Russia
www.sevin.ru
glazovd at gmail.com

Tel. mob. +79104051823

Tel. + 74959541511