[MARMAM] New publications about breeding trips of South American sea lions

Gisela Giardino oflavescens at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:40:34 PST 2016

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of myself and my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the
publication of our research article about breeding trips of  South American
sea lions:

 TRAVEL FOR SEX: LONG RANGE BREEDING DISPERSAL AND WINTER HAULOUT FIDELITY
IN SOUTHERN SEA LION MALES
Giardino, Gisela V.;  Mandiola, M. Agustina;  Bastida, Julián;  Denuncio,
Pablo E.;  Bastida, Ricardo O. and Diego Rodriguez (2016)
*Mammalian Biology - Zeitschrift für Säugetierkunde* vol. 81 (1) p. 89-95

Abstract

Southern sea lions (*Otaria flavescens*; SSLs) have a polygynous mating
system and a prolonged social-sexual maturation period for males. Male
haulouts are common in this species, with some very distant from central
breeding rookeries, although the functions of these aggregations are not
clearly understood. To estimate the potential connectivity between northern
Argentina male colonies and breeding rookeries in Patagonia and Uruguay, we
monitored the summer breeding activities and winter presence of 559
individually identified SSL males from haulouts in Mar del Plata and
Quequén harbors. Our results confirm that male groups are formed by
sexually active sea lions that show a strong annual connection with distant
(up to 700 km) breeding colonies. Circa 70% of the marked males made
long-distance round-trips (72 ± 26.7 days; *n* = 325) from northern
Argentina to Patagonia and Uruguay, indicating a high degree of winter site
fidelity. Mating activity was confirmed for 53% of the sea lions re-sighted
in breeding colonies, with approximately 80% of them having central
positions on the beach and holding harems of up to nine females. The
chronology of this cycle is finely tuned with the onset of the breeding
season, which may result in comparative advantages such as anticipating
female arrival or a prolonged participation in mating activities. Our
results suggest a model of male haulouts spatially segregated from the
central breeding areas, but with a summer recurrent flow of animals that
contributes a significant proportion of the male population of northern
Patagonia and Uruguay.
Keywords

   - *Otaria flavescens*;
   - Pinnipeds;
   - Sea lions;
   - Connectivity;
   - Mating system;
   - Male hauling grounds;
   - Argentina;
   - Marking;
   - Spatial segregation

Articles available at
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1616504714001293
or by email: oflavescens at gmail.com

Cheers and good 2006!

Gisela
--
Dra. Gisela Giardino
Lab. Biol., Ecología y Conserv. de Mamíferos Marinos