[MARMAM] JOB OPPORTUNITY AS AN ON-BOARD NATURALIST FOR ELDING WHALE WATCHING REYKJAVIK, ICELAND SUMMER 2016.

Megan Whittaker megan at elding.is
Fri Jan 8 08:37:01 PST 2016

JOB OPPORTUNITY AS AN ON-BOARD NATURALIST FOR ELDING WHALE WATCHING
REYKJAVIK, ICELAND SUMMER 2016.

Elding Whale Watching Reykjavik is a family owned company and has been
running since 2000. We are the original operator in Reykjavik, strict in
abiding by IceWhale’s (www.icewhale.is) guidelines in vessel behaviour
around wildlife and work with IFAW to stop Whaling in Iceland. We are also
well known for our environmental policy. Elding also provides a platform
for marine biologists to study the cetaceans we encounter to help build our
knowledge and understanding. Elding also has ties with Whale Safari (
www.whalesafari.is), a RIB whale watching company and developing a new
whale watching company in Akureyri (North Iceland) this up and coming
summer. For further information please visit our website at www.elding.is.

Elding is looking for full-time guides that are fluent in English.
Preference will go to those that are multi-lingual (German, French, Spanish
in particular). However, few positions are available for those that are
not. Applicants MUST have a passport from an EEA country
https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea .

Duration: April/May to August/September, winter work may also be available
for hard workers. Shift work on a 2-2-3 schedule (two days on, two off etc.
and you have every other weekend off Fri-Sun).  Flexibility is essential
and there is usually opportunity of overtime.

Salary will be discussed at a later date but looking around
300,000ISK/month (~€2000/£1600month) Remember taxes are about 35%.
Recommend looking through
http://www.eures.is/english/work-in-iceland/living-conditions/nr/32/ before
applying.  Employees are responsible for their own accommodation, travel,
travel insurance and living expenses.

*Employment Duties*

·      Narrating clearly to passengers the biology, conservation (including
whaling) and ecology of the marine life found in Faxafloi Bay and other
areas around Iceland.

·      Spotting wildlife for passengers.

·      Cleaning – cleaning the boats is done at the end of the day or when
cancelled due to bad weather.

·      Looking after the welfare and security of passengers onboard.

·      Bar work – Each vessel has a bar where light refreshments are sold.

·      Hospitality – this is done both onboard and in the office when
needed.

·      Other work/tasks – i.e. selling tickets, distributing brochures,
answering the phone, translating documents etc…

·      Photo Identification for the research.

*Important skills/qualifications*

·      A strong interest and education in marine science specifically
cetaceans and marine birds.

·      A good knowledge of conservation issues related to marine life.

·      Confidence to narrate and interact with large groups.

·      Must be a quick learner, adaptive, hard working, outgoing and
generally a very positive person (finding beauty in the little things).

·      Be able to work calmly and politely under pressure and sometimes in
stressful situations.

·      Must have experience on boats and not acceptable to seasickness
easily

·      Good spotting skills.

·      Maritime safety and First Aid certified is an advantage but not
necessary.

·      Photography skills are highly desirable.

·      Willingness to work long hours outdoors in sometimes unfavorable
weathers.

Elding prides itself on teamwork, no job is too small or too big for any of
our staff members. We work together to make sure everything is finished for
the following day. So being a team player is also very important.

How to apply:

Please email your C.V. and introduction of yourself in English specifying
any relevant experience and languages and why you think you would be good
for the job. Please also include one reference from a past employer to
Megan (megan at elding.is)

Deadline for applications is the 15th February and those that are
successful for interview will be contacted no later than the 29th of
February 2016.

--
Kind Regards

Megan Whittaker
Head Naturalist and Research co-ordinator
Elding Adventures at Sea
Ægisgarður 5, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Tel. (+354) 519 5090
elding at elding.is
www.elding.is

Add us on Facebook Elding Whale Watching Reykjavík
<http://www.facebook.com/EldingWhaleWatching>
Follow us on Twitter: EldingWhale <https://twitter.com/eldingwhale>
Check our Videos on YouTube: Reykjavik Activitie
<http://www.youtube.com/reykjavikactivities>s

Please think of the environment; please don't print this e-mail unless you
really need to.