[MARMAM] New publication: Mediterranean Fin Whales (Balaenoptera physalus) Threatened by Dolphin MorbilliVirus

Sandro Mazzariol sandro.mazzariol at unipd.it
Tue Jan 5 23:12:45 PST 2016

Dear colleagues, My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the
following publication:

Mazzariol S, Centelleghe C, Beffagna G, Povinelli M, Terracciano G,
Cocumelli C, Pintore A., Denurra D., Casalone C., Pautasso A., Di
Francesco C.E., Di Guardo G. Mediterranean fin whales (Balaenoptera
physalus) threatened by dolphin morbillivirus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016
Feb. http://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2202.150882

Abstract: During 2011–2013, dolphin morbillivirus was molecularly
identified in 4 stranded fin whales from the Mediterranean Sea.
Nucleoprotein, phosphoprotein, and hemagglutinin gene sequences of the
identified strain were highly homologous with those of a morbillivirus
that caused a 2006–2007 epidemic in the Mediterranean. Dolphin
morbillivirus represents a serious threat for fin whales.

The paper is available online on Emerging Infectious Diseases as ahead
of print:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/22/2/15-0882_article Kind Regards and
Happy New Year,

Sandro Mazzariol

-- Dr. Sandro Mazzariol, DVM, PhD Dipartimento di Biomedicina Comparata
e Alimentazione (BCA) Università degli Studi di Padova Cetaceans
strandings Emergency Response Team (CERT) AGRIPOLIS - Ed. Museo Viale
dell'Università 16 35020 - Legnaro (PD) tel.: +39 049 827 2963 fax: +39
049 827 2973 skype: smazzariol