[MARMAM] Final Call For Living Seas Volunteer Applications at Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, New Quay, West Wales

CBMWC info at cbmwc.org
Thu Jan 7 01:30:04 PST 2016

WTSWW_high_res_logoCBMWC logo without boarderCardigan Bay Marine Wildlife
Centre

New Quay

Wales

 <http://www.cbmwc.org/> www.cbmwc.org

Living Seas Volunteers 2016

Dedicated to conserving Cardigan Bay’s marine wildlife through education and
research

Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre (CBMWC) is recruiting volunteers for the
2016 season (March to November) to collect data on the marine wildlife of
Cardigan Bay and to help run our visitor centre, educational and awareness
raising activities.

About CBMWC

The Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre is based in New Quay, west Wales,
UK. Since 1996 we have been dedicated to raising awareness of the local
marine environment through education and research. Using boat-based and
land-based surveys, photo-ID and acoustic studies we monitor bottlenose
dolphin, harbour porpoise and Atlantic grey seal populations in the Cardigan
Bay Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and wider Irish Sea. We also run a
busy visitor centre as well as an education and activity room which offers
marine educational and awareness raising activities for families, school and
groups. In April 2015 we became part of the Wildlife Trust of South and West
Wales (WTSWW) and will be delivering the trusts Living Seas programme.

Why Volunteer

Volunteering for the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales at CBMWC is a
fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to marine
wildlife conservation and meet new people who share your interests. You will
learn about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, gain experience in
field work, research methods, data processing, public awareness and
education programmes. The data you collect will contribute to long running
research studies on bottlenose dolphin site usage, abundance,
photo-identification and acoustic studies.

Positions

We are recruiting for

·         Living Seas Research Volunteers (multiple positions)

For specific periods from 14th March through to 31st October 2016. Tasks
include conducting land and boat based marine mammal surveys, data entry,
running our visitor centre and helping with educational events.

Please visit www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seasonal-volunteers/ for dates, further
information about the role and details on how to apply.

·         ShoreFin Volunteers (2 positions)

Must commit to the entire research season from 14th March to 31st October
2016. Tasks include photographing dolphins in New Quay Bay, sorting,
matching and cataloguing dolphin photographs, writing the ShoreFin report
and assisting with the other aspects of our work such as conducting land
surveys.

Please visit www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/shorefin-volunteers/ for further
information on the role and details of how to apply.

·         Atlantic Grey Seal ID Volunteer (1 position)

Must commit to the entire research season from 14th March to 31st October
2016. Tasks include analysing photos of Atlantic grey seals, sorting and
matching using ExtractCompare, writing a research report and assisting with
the other aspects of our work such as conducting land surveys.

Please visit  www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/seal-photo-id/ for further information
on the role and details of how to apply.

·         Assistant Volunteer Coordinator (Voluntary) (1 position)

Must commit to the entire research season from 14th March to 31st October
2016. Tasks include assisting with volunteer coordination and training,
assisting with the administration of CBMWC, assisting with CBMWC research
projects and assisting with the other aspects of our work such as conducting
land surveys.

Please visit www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/volunteer-co-ordinator/ for further
information on the role and details of how to apply.

·         Living Seas Education and Awareness Volunteer (1 position)

Must commit to the entire research season from 14th March to 31st October
2016. Tasks include helping to run education events, assisting with
developing new educational materials and activities, promoting work of WTSWW
and CBMWC and assisting with the other aspects of our work such as
conducting land surveys.

Please visit www.cbmwc.org/volunteer/education-assistant/ for further
information on the role and details of how to apply.

Applications close at midnight 17th January 2016

Volunteer fee

An administration fee of £45 will be required from all successful
applicants.

Accommodation and expense arrangements

Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be
arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per
week, including bills. Please be aware that volunteers share same sex
bedrooms. Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and
accommodation costs.

Due to payment arrangements with the house owners, accommodation costs are
required in advance to cover the cost of each block so before applying
please ensure that you can cover this and all other expenses.

For further information

Visit www.cbmwc.org/

If you have any questions please email volunteer at cbmwc.org with an
appropriate subject line or call Laura on 01545 560224.

-----------------------------

Sarah Perry

Living Seas Science Officer

Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales