[MARMAM] Summer 2016 Internship Opportunities in Savannah, Georgia
perrtreer at savannahstate.edu
Wed Feb 17 08:29:12 PST 2016
The Savannah State University Dolphin Sciences Laboratory (SSUDS lab) is accepting applications for Summer 2016 interns. There are 4 positions available. Application deadline is March 28th.
The SSUDS lab is located adjacent to the marsh on the campus of Savannah State University in coastal Georgia. The SSUDS lab led by Dr. Tara Cox studies spatial ecology and conservation biology of long-lived marine vertebrates, marine and coastal policy and management, and human interactions with marine mammals. Current projects include: Human-interaction behaviors (particularly begging), stock structure and abundance estimates, mother/calf distribution and habitat use, and diet of common bottlenose dolphins.
Interns will support graduate research on common bottlenose dolphins living in the local waterways. In addition, there may be opportunities to help other marine science graduate students with diverse fieldwork.
Dates: May 16th - July 29th (Start and end dates are flexible)
Location: Savannah State University in Savannah, Georgia
Time: Interns are expected to commit to ~40 hours per week and their time will be split between lab and field work.
Lab duties include: photo-identification, data entry and double checking
Field duties - dolphin surveys (~5-7 days per month): assisting with small boat-based photo-identification surveys including sighting dolphins, data recording, photography, and environmental measurements
Field duties - prey assessment surveys (~2-3 days per month): assisting with trawl deployment and retrieval, fish identification and measurement, acoustic recordings, plankton sampling
* Minimum age of 18 years old
* Currently or recently enrolled in a college-level program in marine biology, biology, zoology, or related field
* Strong interest in marine mammals, the environment, and conservation
* Computer proficiency, especially MS Office; MS Access and ArcGIS experience a plus
* Enthusiastic, attentive to detail, responsible, and dedicated
* Works well in a team environment as well as individually
* Ability to work long days in the sun/heat on a small boat
* One of the 4 positions requires previous work with fish identification. Direct experience with trawl gear (net deployment/retrieval, winch operation, etc.) is highly preferred. An ideal intern for this position will be comfortable around machinery as the position will require equipment operation; training will be provided. Safety gear must be worn at all times, even in extremely hot temperatures, and work is nearly continuous throughout an 11-hour trawl day (2-3 days per month). This intern will also participate in regular dolphin surveys and lab photo-identification duties.
To apply please submit the following via email with the subject "SSUDS Internship" to perrtreer at savannahstate.edu<mailto:perrtreer at savannahstate.edu>. All attached file(s) must be named starting with your last name (e.g., Perrtree_SSUDS_coverLetter_summer_2016.doc).
* A cover letter describing why you are interested in this position, how the experience will help you meet your long-term goals, and your dates of availability.
* A resume (or curriculum vitae) describing your relevant training and experience.
* Current academic transcripts (unofficial are sufficient).
* Names and contact information for two references.
This position is unpaid, and interns are responsible for providing their own housing and transport to Savannah, GA. If accepted, we can provide contact information for possible shared housing opportunities with SSU students.
This is a great opportunity to work with scientists and graduate students in the field and lab while gaining experience with photo-identification and boat-based marine mammal surveys. Savannah State University offers a Master of Science in Marine Sciences; thus, successful interns may have future opportunities for graduate study in the SSUDS lab. For more information about Marine Sciences at SSU please visit: http://www.savannahstate.edu/cost/nat-science/marine-sci.shtml
SSUDS Lab Manager
Marine Sciences Technician
Savannah State University
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM