[MARMAM] Northwest Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy 2016 Annual Meeting

Erica Escajeda escajeda at uw.edu
Mon Feb 8 13:39:15 PST 2016

Hello Northwest Marine Mammalogy Students!

We are pleased to announce that the 20th Annual Meeting of the
Northwest Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy (NWSSMM) will
take place at the University of Washington (UW) in Seattle on May 21-22,
2016!

The purpose of the annual meeting is to cultivate community among students
studying marine mammals by creating a relaxed atmosphere to share research
ideas, tribulations, and triumphs. It is an opportunity to meet
other students across the region, collaborate, and generally have a good
time in a supportive and informal setting.

Saturday May 21st will involve a full day of student oral and poster
presentations, followed by a group dinner. On Sunday May 22nd we will be
offering a behind the scenes tour of the marine mammal collection at the Burke
Museum <http://www.burkemuseum.org/> on the UW campus. Museum entrance fees
are $7.50 with student ID, $10 for general admission.

Registration is now open and we encourage students (grad, high school, and
college students, and post-docs) to present their research. Abstracts for
research at all stages, including proposal presentations and preliminary
results, will be accepted. Depending on the number of registrants, oral
presentations may be reserved for projects with results or preliminary
results. We have included the option for a first and second choice of
presentation type on the registration form.

Registration cost is TBD at this time, but will be a maximum of $15 (USD)
and will include breakfast, snacks, and lunch. We'll head out for dinner
and drinks after talks on Saturday!
We also encourage guests (student or non) that are not interested in
presenting to register and attend the conference. The conference will be
held at the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences (located here
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/1122+NE+Boat+St,+Seattle,+WA+98105/@47.6530804,-122.31865,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x549014f1ea004e3b:0xa828fe6e8058f7d5>
).

*Abstract submission* *deadline is APRIL 1st*, however registration will be
accepted up to the day of the meeting. Register and submit your abstract
at: http://bit.ly/20Mn9EB

Follow along on the Facebook event page
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1716450525237777/>.

Limited housing with student hosts will be available on a first-come
first-serve basis. Please indicate on your registration form if you would
like to be considered for accommodations and contact us if you have any
questions.

We look forward to seeing you in Seattle!

Erica Escajeda (escajeda at uw.edu) and Jessie Hale (jrh33 at uw.edu)

NWSSMM 20th Annual Meeting Student Organizers

--
Laidre Lab
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences