[MARMAM] LAST MINUTE CANCELLATION: intenship opportunity in Nicaragua
Joëlle De Weerdt
joelle.de.weerdt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 08:46:37 PST 2016
Due to a last minute cancellation we have an open position for an
internship as a research assistant on the cetacean conservation project of
ELI-S is a nonprofit organization based in France that has been created in
2013. Our organization aims at promoting, protecting and conserving
cetaceans. We have set up the research project ?Cetacean Conservation in
ELI-Scientific is seeking one research assistants for field work,
photo-identification and data entry from 23 of January to 23 of April 2017.
This project aims to generate knowledge on cetacean presence, distribution
habitat use patterns. The Research Assistant will have a unique opportunity
to participate on a pioneer research project under the supervision of
experienced Team Leader and the Project Director.
The expected output is to generate: 1) scientific data on cetaceans in
Nicaragua, 2) environmental awareness to the local communities in order to
create a socio-economic relevance in conserving and protecting their
natural environment and 3) responsible eco-tourism.
All team members will have a training beforehand on the field methodologies
and protocols as well as on data management.
*Locations: *Padre Ramos North-West of Nicaragua
*Period: *January,23rd ? April, 23rd 2017 (3 months)
*Type of agreement: *Full time. 1-2 Days off per week.
Research assistants should expect to spend at least 4 days a week on the
field and 1 day a week in working with data and should be willing and able
to work a 5-6 days per week during the 12-week field study.
- Assist in Boat based surveys in collecting data on cetaceans
- Photo-identification of whale and dolphin species
- Update photo-ID catalogue
- Data entry of collected data
- Participate to public outreach
*Skills and qualifications:*
- Bsc or Mc in biology / environmental sciences
- Fluency in Spanish
- Enthusiastic, conscientious and hard working
- Have background in cetacean ecology, and at least one
season of field
- Experience of working in developing countries
- Experience in delivering educational activities
- Proactive with ability to work unsupervised
- Interest in wildlife and conservation
- Being comfortable on a small boat
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Being able to work in a small team
- Being able to live in basic living conditions
*Desirable skills :*
- An interest and knowledge of marine life
- A background in marine biology
- Speaking English and French is a plus
- Be able to swim
*Successful candidate will:*
- Gain valuable experience in cetacean survey techniques and
- Work in a very dynamic environment
- Get insight in running a research project in developing countries
*Accommodation and expenses:*
A participation fee of 500 euros/month will be asked to the assistant which
covers accommodation, food expenses, travel to and from the airport, the
membership to the organisation, 2 project t-shirts and a one week training
on marine mammal identification and research methods.
Please email a CV and a cover letter outlining your experience
and motivations. Send this to joelle.deweerdt at eli-s.com with -Research
assistant 2017- in the subject line.
For further information and any queries, please contact Joelle De
Weerdt, Project Director.
Email: joelle.deweerdt at eli-s.com
Tel: 0032 497 71 20 87
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM