[MARMAM] MARINE MAMMAL RESEARCH INTERNSHIP IN CAPE VERDE, AFRICA
interns at aimm-portugal.org
Mon Dec 19 06:28:04 PST 2016
*BACKGROUND: *The Marine Environment Research Association is a non-profit,
non-governmental organization focused on the research and conservation of
marine species, running an ongoing study of cetaceans in southern Portugal
(Algarve) and Boa Vista, Cape Verde. This project aims to obtain baseline
information on species occurrence, behavior, and social structure of the
local cetacean populations in order to obtain scientific data to support
conservation measures and inform marine management policies.
The main species observed are Humpback whales (*Megaptera novaeangliae*)
and the rough-toothed (*Steno bredanensis*) although more than 14 species
of cetacean were describe to the Cape Verde region. Sea turtle could be
also find in the ocean, mostly the Green turtle (*Chelonia mydas*),
Loggerhead turtle and Leatherback turtle (*Dermochelys coriacea*)
AIMM Interns are hard-working individuals who are willing to contribute to
the association and support on-going activities, while experiencing
fieldwork at sea, learning data collection and processing methodologies,
and being a part of AIMM's team of researchers and marine biologists for a
period of time. All team members and participants share accommodation,
house tasks, knowledge and experience in an environmental friendly and
*WHERE:* Boa Vista Island, Cape Verde, África
*WHEN:* The field season lasts from 1st of March to 31st of May, 2017. The
minimum internship attendance is 14 days, preferably starting on a Monday.
*FIELDWORK: *The field trips are conducted in an opportunistic platforms
(commercial whale-watching boats). Fieldwork is dependent on weather
conditions and seat availability in the whale-watching boats. Field days
can be intense, especially in the peak of season, but are fulfilling and
good fun. The interns will be trained to:
· Conduct on-board surveys of marine species occurrence;
· Record effort tracks on a handheld GPS;
· Collect data on behavior, group size, species, etc.;
· Collection of photos to photo-identification and underwater videos
*DATA ANALYSIS: *This will be conducted on a daily basis and will entail
entering data into established databases and spreadsheets,
photo-identification processing, and preliminary data interpretation.
*INTERNSHIP FEES:* AIMM is a non-profit organization that relies on
donations from our volunteers, partners, and conservation-minded people
like you so that we may continue our important research and education
programs. This internship requires a monetary contribution which is used to
off-set the cost of accommodation and running a non-profit.
For more information on internship fees for the 2017 season, please
contact: interns at aimm-portugal.org with the title “Cape Verde Internship”
*Included* in the fee is:
· Accommodation in the research house;
· Transportation to/from the marina;
· Fieldwork on a commercial whale-watching vessels.
*Not included* in the fee is:
· Transportation to/from Boa Vista Island, Cape Verde;
· Meals / food;
· Free time activities;
· Personal insurance (all participants should have health and/or
· Personal expenses.
*INTERNS ARE EXPECTED TO:*
· Be above the age of 18;
· Have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research and
· Be autonomous and flexible;
· Be able to live and work in an international team and mainly
outdoors at sea;
· Speak English;
· Participate for minimum 14 days.
*Preference will be given* to those who have:
· Relevant marine mammal field experience
· Working experience on research vessels
· Experience working from dolphin/whale watching platforms
· Experience in photo-identification
· Professional cameras that can be used for photo-ID
· Availability to stay for longer periods of time
*INTERNSHIP APPLICATION: *
Applicants should send an e-mail to interns at aimm-portugal.org, subject “*Cape
Verde Internship*” with your Resume/CV, personal statement on which are
your expectations and the period of time that you want do the internship.
You will received an e-mail with the availability for the internship and
all the others details.
Applications will be accepted during all season, however, early application
is recommended due to limited vacancies.
*Contacts*: interns at aimm-portugal.org | www.aimmportugal.org |
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM