[MARMAM] Research Intern opportunity at The Marine Mammal Center - APPLICATION DEADLINE JAN 6th
Fontainec at TMMC.org
Fri Dec 9 11:15:09 PST 2016
The Marine Mammal Center (TMMC) is a non-profit hospital dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of sick, injured or orphaned marine mammals. Also integral to the Center's mission are the research and education programs that expand our knowledge of marine mammals, and their ocean environment, and inspire global conservation. Since 1975, TMMC volunteers and staff have responded to more than 18,000 stranded pinnipeds, cetaceans, and sea otters along California's central coast. For more information about TMMC, please visit: www.marinemammalcenter.org<http://www.marinemammalcenter.org>.
The Science Department at The Marine Mammal Center is seeking applicants for an unpaid internship position in our research division. There are three intern opportunities, winter, spring and summer.
The Science and Research Internship is available at our main hospital in Sausalito. For more information on this internship please visit: http://www.marinemammalcenter.org/Get-Involved/volunteer/internship-opportunities/research-internship.html
Some of the projects the successful candidate may participate in are:
1. Assist with necropsies: Necropsies are performed on all animals that die during treatment at the center. Depending on the case, some necropsies require a significant amount of sampling. Primary responsibilities will include: assisting with necropsy sample collection, data collection, archiving samples, stocking necropsy lab, and clean up.
2. Data entry and cleaning: The goal of this project is to improve data integrity, standardization, and volume in the Veterinary Science Department's databases (FileMaker Pro). These data include animal care and medical records, diagnostic results, specimen tracking information, and stranding and disposition details. Intern tasks may include entry of respective data from hard-copy records and data checking and cleaning.
3. Specimen archive project: This project will focus on tracking and optimizing the storage of archived specimens collected from live and dead marine mammals. Intern duties will primarily include: freezer inventory.
4. Library project: This project involves cataloging scientific publications into TMMC's hardcopy and electronic libraries. Intern duties will primarily include: reference entry using EndNote X, restocking hardcopy reprints, and scanning hardcopy publications.
5. Animal Crew: If there is interest, the selected intern will have the opportunity to spend one day on an animal crew. Animal crew's duties include feeding the patients, cleaning the pens, restraining animals for feeds and/or procedures. Training is provided.
In addition, the intern will assist with other duties within the Science Department as needed, such as filing paperwork, rescues and releases
* All applicants must be 21 years of age or older and engaged or recent completed undergraduate studies.
* A background or degree in Biology, Marine Biology, Ecology, Zoology or a related field.
* Computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office Suite.
* Comfortable hiking 5 miles and lifting 50 lbs.
* There is no compensation for this internship position and the successful applicant will be responsible for their own living and transportation expenses during the time of the internship.
* If the intern intends to receive university credit for their internship, they are responsible for making all arrangements with their educational institution.
Senior Research Assistant
The Marine Mammal Center
2000 Bunker Rd
Sausalito, CA 94965
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM