[MARMAM] Doctoral student position - Florida International University

Melissa Soldevilla - NOAA Federal melissa.soldevilla at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 2 08:38:45 PST 2016

On behalf of my colleague, Kevin Boswell at FIU, I'd like to request that
the following PhD assistantship advertisement be posted to the listserve.
Thank you!

PhD Assistantship- Integrating active acoustics and marine mammal survey
data to characterize prey fields for foraging marine mammals in the
northern Gulf of Mexico

A PhD assistantship is available for an enthusiastic and determined student
to work in the Marine Ecology and Acoustics Laboratory at Florida
International University (faculty.fiu.edu/~kmboswel) at Florida
International University. We seek a doctoral student to work on a
collaborative project between FIU and the Marine Mammal Program at NOAA’s
SEFSC in Miami, FL. This student will work toward developing a firmer
understanding of the dynamics that act to structure micronketon layers and
the forage base that supports marine mammal foraging activities in the Gulf
of Mexico. Sound scattering layers (SSLs) are ubiquitous features
throughout the world’s oceans and the organisms comprising these layers are
important components of these vast ecosystems. The depths at which SSLs
occur are dynamic and often dependent on the depth of the water column and
time of day, which gives rise to well-recognized and remarkable diel
vertical migration patterns. These layers are often composed of fish,
decapods, cephalopods, and many other species (some of which we know very
little about) that are a key prey resource for larger predators, and in
particular marine mammals.

This project will link historical data collected in response to the the
Deep Horizon Oil Spill and ongoing efforts funded in part by GOMRI(
http://www.deependconsortium.org/) and NOAA’s Marine Mammal Program. The
successful candidate should have an interest in the use of acoustics and
survey methodology to study the interactions between predators and prey
within the context of a large marine ecosystem. He/She will work closely
with collaborators at NOAA to integrate acoustic recordings (passive),
multifrequency acoustic data (active) and visual survey data to elucidate
temporal and spatial distributions of pelagic and mesopelagic nekton in
association with oceanographic features and focus on linking scattering
Demonstration of strong quantitative and analytical skills and familiarity
with signal processing and/or non-linear methods is preferred. Candidates
with demonstrated skills in scientific programming in Python, R or MATLAB
are particularly sought.

To apply: Submit a current CV, letter of interest, GRE scores and GPA to
Drs. Kevin Boswell (kevin.boswell at fiu.edu); Lance Garrison (
lance.garrison at noaa.gov>) and Melissa Soldevilla (
melissa.soldevilla at noaa.gov). *Application deadline is December 20, 2016.*

--