[MARMAM] Orca Guardians Iceland

Marie Mk marie.mrusczok at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:38:36 PDT 2016

Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my co-founders I am pleased to announce the launch of “Orca
Guardians Iceland”, the first Icelandic conservation organization of its
kind, dedicated to a single cetacean species, the killer whale (*Orcinus
orca*). Orca Guardians is an independent nonprofit seeking to protect orcas
in Iceland and their habitat through non-invasive research and education.

Interdisciplinary research from a variety of fields (such as marine
biology, marine conservation, zoology, fisheries, animal psychology,
environmental psychology, tourism, international and European law) brings
together international, national and local experts united in the effort of
protecting Icelandic orcas. We strongly believe that conservation measures
need to be implemented not only once a population is listed as “threatened”
or “endangered”, but in a way to prevent dangers to the animals in the
first place.

We use the precautionary approach, showing how much we can learn about
orcas in Icelandic waters and their environment by solely engaging in
non-invasive research. This includes the only orca ID project running
all-year-round in Iceland and on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula (since 2014),
which is based on land sightings and boat encounters, following a strict
code of conduct for approach without disturbance. We value killer whales as
individuals with unique character traits, and promote respectful and
mindful encounters with them.

You can find further information at:

www.orcaguardians.org
www.facebook.com/orcaguardians

Or get in touch via e-mail: info at orcaguardians.org

Best regards
Marie Mrusczok
Founder and President, Orca Guardians Iceland