[MARMAM] HWDT Photo Identification Volunteer Placement

Morven Russell volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
Mon Aug 29 09:11:28 PDT 2016

Dear MARMAM mailing list,

Our Purpose: The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) is the leading
voice for the conservation of Hebridean cetaceans; dedicated to enhancing
knowledge and understanding of Scotland’s whales, dolphins and porpoises and
the Hebridean marine environment through education, research and working
within local communities towards lasting conservation.

About the Placement: HWDT operates a vital cetacean monitoring programme in
the Scottish Hebrides, conducting research into the distribution, abundance
and habitat use of whales, dolphins, porpoises and basking sharks. Our
research programme is well established, running for over 20 years.

This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual, keen to gain
experience in photo-identification research techniques, to join our team.
HWDT is based in the colourful and picturesque harbour town of Tobermory, on
the Isle of Mull; where we have our office, Hebridean Whale and Dolphin
Centre and the mooring for our research vessel Silurian.

During the placement you will work with our science team to analyse images
taken during minke whale encounters (over the 2016 field season) and attempt
to match them to our minke whale photo-ID catalogue. You will also be tasked
with managing the standardisation of historic encounters through-out the
database and developing HWDT ID catalogues for dolphin species.

Placement Dates:  We are offering a 6-month volunteer placement running from
Monday 3rd October 2016 – Friday 31st March 2017. The successful candidate
will work between 4 - 5 days a week and must be able to commit to the full
placement length.

What you will get out of it:

-   Training and application in photo-identification (photo-ID) analysis
techniques.

-   One-to-one training in database management, including Discovery and
Access software.

­   Vital workplace experience for a career in marine conservation.

­   Opportunity to live and work on a beautiful, remote Scottish Island!

Accommodation and living expenses: The Trust will not be able to cover any
accommodation and living expenses during the placement. Accommodation can be
arranged for you through our team. Typically, accommodation in a shared
house in Tobermory will cost between £60-£100 per week (inclusive of bills).
Tobermory is the largest town on the Isle of Mull with a good range of
facilities including a small co-op, pharmacy, pubs, gift shops and cafes.
Other amenities you may require i.e. large high street chains, supermarkets,
train station etc. can be found in Oban; a 45 minute ferry journey away.
Please be aware that Mull is a remote island; only accessible by ferry links
from the Scottish mainland.

Role description:

­   Analyse minke whale encounters from the 2016 field season – matching
individuals to HWDTs minke whale catalogue

­   Archive all photo-ID images taken during the 2016 field season

­   Contribute to the photo-ID image archive by standardising historic
(pre-2016) file names with unique encounter reference numbers

­   Develop existing photo-ID databases, including for bottlenose and
Risso’s dolphins.

Person Specification:

Essential

ü  Friendly, confident open communication style

ü  Experience with data entry – basic access and excel skills

ü  Passionate about marine conservation

ü  Ability to live and work with colleagues as part of a small team

Desirable

ü  Degree in relevant science or environmental subject

ü  Experience in photo-ID analysis

ü  Knowledge of Scottish cetaceans and conservation issues

To apply: Please email a current C.V. and covering letter outlining why you
are applying for the opportunity to volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org
<mailto:volunteercoordinator at hwdt.org> . For more information, please
contact Morven Russell on 01688 302620.

Application deadline: 12 noon 15th September 2016. Successful candidates
will be invited to a Skype interviews in the w/c 19th September 2016.

Morven Russell

Volunteer Coordinator

Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust

+44 (0)1688 302620

 <http://www.hwdt.org> www.hwdt.org

28 Main Street

Tobermory

Isle of Mull

Scotland PA75 6NU

Please note my standard working days are Mon - Wed