[MARMAM] Session on Historic Whales and Whaling at the SAA meetings, Vancouver, April 2017

Camilla Speller camilla.speller at york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 02:47:45 PDT 2016

Dear All,

Jacqui Mulville and I are proposing a session on *Whales and Whaling* at
the Society for American Archaeology meetings in Vancouver, Canada next
year (March 29 - April 2, 2017).  We are hoping that any of you working on
historic aspects of cetacean hunting or ecology might be interested in
presenting some of your research at the session. The session abstract is
below, and we're hoping we can bring together global perspectives and
research.

Unfortunately, the deadline for abstract submission is rapidly approaching
(Sept 8th) - my apologies about the tight time frame. Please contact Jacqui
(mulvilleja at cardiff.ac.uk) or Camilla (camilla.speller at york.ac.uk) if
you're interested in attending the session and I will provide you with a
link to submit your abstract. If you can recommend other colleagues or
students that we might invite, please let us know. The more people we can
get together, the better!

Best wishes,

Camilla Speller and Jacqui Mulville

*Whales and Whaling: new perspectives and approaches for documenting
long-term exploitation of cetaceans*

*Human have been exploiting whales and other large marine mammals for
thousands of years. Often initially focused on the opportunistic use of
stranded carcasses, active whale hunting technologies and strategies
emerged worldwide in different times and places. In spite of their
importance as sources of food, fuel and raw materials, there are fewer
archaeological studies of cetaceans than any other hunted mammal group.
Today, cetaceans are amongst the most threatened groups of mammals, due to
dramatic global declines resulting from industrial overharvesting and other
anthropogenic influences. Archaeology has an important role to play in not
only in deciphering the timing, socio-cultural context and technological
developments of active whaling, but also in providing essential baseline
information on the past geographical distribution and abundance of
now-threatened species. This session will explore ongoing challenges and
new perspectives for documenting past cetacean exploitation from a wide
range of geographic areas and time periods. Potential examples include (but
are not limited to) historical, archaeological, morphological and molecular
approaches for reconstructing the timing, intensity, technology and
socio-economic importance of cetacean exploitation, and documenting both
natural and anthropogenic impacts on large marine mammal populations
worldwide. *

--
Dr Camilla Speller
Lecturer in Bioarchaeology