[MARMAM] new publication - marine mammal genomics

Kristina Cammen kristina.cammen at maine.edu
Mon Aug 15 08:13:05 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following invited review
on marine mammal genomics in the Journal of Heredity:

Genomic Methods Take the Plunge: Recent Advances in High-Throughput
Sequencing of Marine Mammals

Kristina M. Cammen, Kimberly R. Andrews, Emma L. Carroll, Andrew D. Foote,
Emily Humble, Jane I. Khudyakov, Marie Louis, Michael R. McGowen, Morten
Tange Olsen, and Amy M. Van Cise

The dramatic increase in the application of genomic techniques to non-model
organisms (NMOs) over the past decade has yielded numerous valuable
contributions to evolutionary biology and ecology, many of which would not
have been possible with traditional genetic markers. We review this recent
progression with a particular focus on genomic studies of marine mammals, a
group of taxa that represent key macroevolutionary transitions from
terrestrial to marine environments and for which available genomic
resources have recently undergone notable rapid growth. Genomic studies of
NMOs utilize an expanding range of approaches, including whole genome
sequencing, restriction site-associated DNA sequencing, array-based
sequencing of single nucleotide polymorphisms and target sequence probes
(e.g., exomes), and transcriptome sequencing. These approaches generate
different types and quantities of data, and many can be applied with
limited or no prior genomic resources, thus overcoming one traditional
limitation of research on NMOs. Within marine mammals, such studies have
thus far yielded significant contributions to the fields of phylogenomics
and comparative genomics, as well as enabled investigations of fitness,
demography, and population structure. Here we review the primary options
for generating genomic data, introduce several emerging techniques, and
discuss the suitability of each approach for different applications in the
study of NMOs.

The full article is freely available online at
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/08/10/jhered.esw044.full

--
Kristina Cammen
School of Marine Sciences, University of Maine
kristina.cammen at maine.edu