[MARMAM] New publication: Detection of Brucella spp. in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) by a real-time PCR using blowhole swabs.

David Wu - NOAA Affiliate david.wu at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 9 11:13:25 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the publication of our article:
Qingzhong Wu, Jessica Conway, Kristen M. Phillips, Megan Stolen, Wendy N.
Durden, Deborah Fauquier, Wayne E. McFee, and Lori Schwacke. 2016. Detection
of *Brucella* spp. in Bottlenose Dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus*) by a Real-Time
PCR Using Blowhole Swabs. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 120:241-244.
doi: 10.3354/dao03034

http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v120/n3/p241-244/

*Abstract:*  Blowhole swabs are a simple and non-invasive method for
collecting samples from cetaceans and can be used for screening large
numbers of animals in the field.  This study reports a real-time PCR assay
for the detection of *Brucella* spp*.* using blowhole swab samples
from bottlenose
dolphins (*Tursiops truncatus*) stranded in the coastal region of Virginia,
South Carolina and Northern Florida, USA between 2013 and 2015.  We used
real-time PCR results on lung samples from the same dolphins as the
estimation of the relative sensitivity and specificity of real-time PCR of
blowhole swabs.  *Brucella* DNA was detected in lung tissue of 22% (18/81)
and in blowhole swabs of 21% (17/81) of the sampled dolphins.  The relative
sensitivity and specificity of real-time PCR on blowhole swabs as compared
to the real-time PCR on lung samples was 94% (17/18) and 100% (63/63),
respectively. These results indicate that real-time PCR on blowhole swabs
may be used as a non-invasive test for rapid detection of *Brucella *spp*.*
in the respiratory tract of dolphins.  To our knowledge, this is the first
report on the use of blowhole swabs for detection of bacterial pathogens by
real-time PCR in bottlenose dolphins.

Best regards,

Qingzhong (David) Wu

Molecular microbiologist

--

Qingzhong (David) Wu, JHT, Inc. - Contractor

Hollings Marine Laboratory
National Ocean Service
331 Ft. Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412