[MARMAM] New publication: Guiana dolphins form social modules in a large population with high ranging overlap and small demographic changes

Luiza Campos lbeiraocampos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:47:42 PDT 2016

Hello,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to present our paper published at
Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, entitled: Guiana dolphins form social
modules in a large population with high ranging overlap and small
demographic changes.

Abstract
The number and strength of social relationships are generally the products
of group living trade-offs. However, they can be at least partially
influenced by asocial factors such as the spatiotemporal opportunities for
individuals to interact. We explored the social patterns of the largest
population of Guiana dolphins— from dyadic interactions to the large-scale
structure of their social network—considering their use of space and
demographic changes during 6 years. We found that their society displays
fission-fusion dynamics, characterized mainly by brief associations among
individuals, and is weakly structured into four social modules. Spatial use
and temporal demographic changes had minor effects on the patterns of
associations among individuals. This suggests that the social modules
unlikely represented spatiotemporal aggregations of individuals due to
resource availability but rather involved social preferences among
individuals. We show that Guiana dolphins can form social modules even in a
large population with high ranging overlap and few demographic changes over
time, although these social boundaries are blurred by the dynamic nature of
the social relationships. Our findings illustrate and support the recent
claims for the need of taking asocial processes in account when studying
social structure of any animal species.

Full text can be accessed via link: http://link.springer.com/
article/10.1007/s00265-016-2188-x?wt_mc=Internal.Event.1.
SEM.ArticleAuthorOnlineFirst

*Luiza Beirão Campos*

Marine Scientist

​

SIG Quadra 1, lote 985, sala 251

Centro Empresarial Parque Brasília | Brasil

*Direto *+55.61.3247.1802 | *Fax *+55.61.3247.1801

*E* lcampos at oceana.org | *W* http://brasil.oceana.org