[MARMAM] Post request

Raychelle Daniel RDaniel at pewtrusts.org
Mon Apr 25 12:19:20 PDT 2016

Greetings, I was interested in posting the below message to MARMAM.  Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!

Many thanks,
Raychelle Aluaq Daniel
The Pew Charitable Trusts
U.S. Arctic Program, Senior Associate
907.317.1750
rdaniel at pewtrusts.org

===============================

Dear Colleague:

We support the protection of vital habitats in the U.S. Arctic Ocean's Chukchi and Beaufort seas off Alaska's north coast. We believe federal action is needed to ensure the resilience of this marine ecosystem and sustain the people who use its living resources to thrive.

We write today to invite you to join a letter from scientists asking this administration to remove the U.S. Chukchi and Beaufort seas from the upcoming 2017-2022 Outer Continental Shelf Leasing Program, which will be finalized by the end of 2016. It also asks President Barack Obama to consult with indigenous communities and tribes, who have extensive traditional knowledge relevant to decision-making, and with Arctic scientists to use the best available information to identify and permanently withdraw additional important marine areas from oil and gas leasing.

Please join U.S. and international scientists in signing this open letter urging the administration to employ a precautionary, science-based approach to protecting the long-term resilience of the U.S. Arctic marine ecosystem.

You can read the full letter to the President and sign on by visiting this online form<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_1zp7N-2DJvptVEPr7rGgujLAwAib3QoLoojg65qGAbCKgs_edit&d=CwMFaQ&c=2qwu4RrWzdlNOcmb_drAcw&r=OdhzANkP_Z_DGj6ivNwiURr8ZDCmZmhOcsMBfgWWPmE&m=Dbt3SgWZ3gvrkycysSEYFYhCog-lfvrs2T37hHUxy4E&s=zvK2ynlLVp0SLiENUcV6C7qZTjYQAGScmFptqs8xMiw&e=>.  Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zp7N-JvptVEPr7rGgujLAwAib3QoLoojg65qGAbCKgs/viewform?edit_requested=true

Please also forward this email on to fellow scientists who may be interested as we will be collecting signatures throughout the weeks ahead.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

F. Stuart Chapin III, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
University of Alaska Fairbanks

Paul K. Dayton, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor emeritus
Scripps Institution of Oceanography

George L. Hunt Jr., Ph.D.
Research Professor
Aquatic & Fishery Sciences
University of Washington

Henry Huntington, Ph.D.
Director of Arctic Science
The Pew Charitable Trusts

The Honorable Jane Lubchenco, Ph.D.
Marine Ecology
Oregon State University
Administrator of NOAA (2009-2013)

Daniel Pauly, Ph.D.
Professor of Fisheries
University of British Columbia

Enric Sala, Ph.D.
Explorer-in-Residence
National Geographic Society

Stanley Senner, M.S.
Vice President for Bird Conservation -Pacific Flyway
Nation Audubon Society

Kathleen Stafford, Ph.D.
Principal Oceanographer
Applied Physics Laboratory
University of Washington

For questions about the online form or letter, please contact:

Ellie Humphries
Senior Associate | U.S. Arctic - Oceans
The Pew Charitable Trusts
1904 Third Avenue, Suite 305, Seattle, WA 98101
206.257.2535 | ehumphries at pewtrusts.org<mailto:ehumphries at pewtrusts.org>
www.pewtrusts.org/usarctic<http://www.pewtrusts.org/usarctic>