[MARMAM] Research Assistant needed in Findhorn, North East Scotland, for summer 2016

North 58° Sea Adventures adventure at north58.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 02:25:29 PDT 2016

Research Assistants needed in Findhorn, North East Scotland, for summer 2016.

North 58° aims to offer our trip boats as a platform for research in order to better understand the wildlife we encounter on our tours. We are seeking voluntary research assistants to assist for an 8 week period from beginning of July to end of August- volunteers should be available to start training on the 27th of June. Research will comprise of sighting data, photo identification and behavioural studies, mainly of Seals’ and Bottlenose Dolphins but occasionally also Basking sharks, Minke whales and other dolphin species.

Research will be conducted on our wildlife watching tours (either on short 2 hour trips or full day excursions). Successful candidates will rotate between 3 roles; 1) naturalist position on fauna tours, assisting guides and collecting data, 2) managing wildlife centre 3) data organisation. The roles will be rotated and bad weather days used as data catch up or days off.

We are preferably looking for people that have;

- A strong interest and education in Marine biology/ecology or other related field- specifically marine mammals and large marine vertebrate
- Guiding experience- must be good at communicating with the public and have ability to interpret local and wildlife info to passenger guests
- Observation Experience- including use of binoculars and DSLR cameras
- Experience on boats- not susceptible to seasickness easily
- Ability to work calmly and politely under pressure and in sometimes stressful situations
- Ability to learn, be adaptive, hardworking, positive and outgoing as well as have a lot of patience
- Willingness to work long hours outdoors, in sometimes unfavourable conditions
- Some photo ID and matching experience is desirable
- Ability to work well as both a team and an individual
- Physical fitness- working on RIBs can be bumpy and are therefore not recommended working platforms for anyone with severe back or knee problems.
Accommodation Food and Travel

Assistants will be responsible for their own travel costs, and personal expenses but accommodation will be provided throughout the research period.  Accommodation is a large static caravan on site at Findhorn Marina. Each assistant will get their own room, however living area, kitchen, bathroom, etc will be communal with the other research assistants. You will be a moments’ walk from the Marina building where most land work will take place.

This is an excellent opportunity for an early career biologist or naturalist to gain valuable fieldwork skills, as well as research techniques, on the water experience and public interpretation through guiding.

How to Apply:

Please email your cv, covering letter specifying any relevant experience and qualifications to Pippa Low (pippa at north58.co.uk) . For further information regarding our company please visit www.north58.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Pippa Low

Findhorn Marina
+44(0)1309 690099