[MARMAM] New publication on biomarkers for decompression stress in marine mammals

Fahlman, Andreas Andreas.Fahlman at tamucc.edu
Fri Apr 22 06:54:01 PDT 2016

Dear MarMam-ers,

We are proud to announce our new publication on biomarkers for decompression stress in Steller sea lions in American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology

Title: Dive, food, and exercise effects on blood microparticles in Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus): exploring a biomarker for decompression sickness

Authors:  Andreas Fahlman, Michael J. Moore, Andrew W. Trites, David A. S. Rosen, Martin Haulena, Nigel Waller,  Troy Neale,  Ming Yang, and Stephen R. Thom

Journal: American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology
Volume: 310
Pages: R596–R601, 2016.

Abstract: Recent studies of stranded marine mammals indicate that exposure to underwater military sonar may induce pathophysiological responses consistent with decompression sickness (DCS). However, DCS has been difficult to diagnose in marine mammals. We investigated whether blood microparticles (MPs, measured as number/μl plasma), which increase in response to decompression stress in terrestrial mammals, are a suitable biomarker for DCS in marine mammals. We obtained blood samples from trained Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus, 4 adult females) wearing time-depth recorders that dove to predetermined depths (either 5 or 50 meters). We hypothesized that MPs would be positively related to decompression stress (depth and duration underwater). We also tested the effect of feeding and exercise in isolation on MPs using the same blood sampling protocol. We found that feeding and exercise had no effect on blood MP levels, but that diving caused MPs to increase. However, blood MP levels did not correlate with diving depth, relative time underwater, and presumed decompression stress, possibly indicating acclimation following repeated exposure to depth.

For reprints please e-mail Andreas Fahlman: andreas.fahlman at tamucc.edu<mailto:andreas.fahlman at tamucc.edu>