[MARMAM] New publication on dietary estimates for franciscanas, Pontoporia blainvillei, using the stable isotope approach.

Genyffer Troina genyffertroina at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 05:31:07 PDT 2016

Dear all,

my co-authors and I are pleased to announce a new publication on dietary
estimates for franciscanas, Pontoporia blainvillei, using the stable
isotope approach.

Troina, G., Botta, S., Secchi, E. R., and Dehairs, F. 2016. *Ontogenetic
and sexual characterization of the feeding habits of franciscanas, **Pontoporia
blainvillei**, based on tooth dentin carbon and nitrogen stable
isotopes. *Marine
Mammal Science. DOI: 10.1111/mms.12316

ABSTRACT: We assessed the feeding habits of franciscanas (*Pontoporia
blainvillei*) from southern Brazil through carbon and nitrogen stable
isotopes measured in the tooth dentin of dolphins from different age
classes. Generalized additive models were fitted to assess whether sex,
age, and total body length explained changes in franciscanas isotope
ratios. Bayesian isotope mixing models were applied to estimate the
contributions of prey items, selected based on stomach content analysis
(SCA), to franciscanas' diet. Different trophic enrichment factors (TEF)
were applied and the results were compared using Bhattachayya's coefficient
index to test for differences in model outputs and to define the best TEF
for franciscanas. We found different relative importance of the main prey
between the methods, and the contribution by squids could be lower than
suggested by SCA. Because the dentin deposited during nursing seems to
influence the isotopic ratios of juveniles, caution is recommended when
interpreting dietary estimates based on whole tooth samples. This study is
the first to characterize ontogenetic shifts in franciscanas' feeding
habits using stable isotope analysis (SIA) and testing different TEF
values. SIA and SCA complement each other in dietary studies, mitigating
potential biases resulting from the use of each method separately.

The article is available for download on
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12316/abstract
Or a PDF can be provided via email request: genyffertroina at gmail.com

Cheers,
Genyffer
--
MSc. Genyffer Troina
Doutoranda no Programa de Pós Graduação em Oceanografia Biológica
genyffertroina at gmail.com
CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/3997346742040354
<https://wwws.cnpq.br/cvlattesweb/PKG_MENU.menu?f_cod=95BCF6774B1701C4C08659078AEA342D#>