[MARMAM] Mass Stranding Workshop at the 2015 SMM Biennial - early registration ends Wednesday
bsharp at ifaw.org
Mon Sep 28 11:10:29 PDT 2015
Early bird registration for the 21st Biennial Conference of the Society for Marine Mammalogy ends this Wednesday, September 30th. Now is the time to take advantage of the discounted rate and sign up for pre-conference workshops. https://www.marinemammalscience.org/conference/conference-registration/
When you do, consider attending the Mass Stranding Response and Investigation Workshop to be held on Sunday, December 13th .
This full-day workshop is designed specifically for individuals who participate in mass stranding response or related research, and those individuals that are tasked with management and policy decisions regarding mass strandings. The workshop will incorporate invited speakers and open round table discussions throughout the full day session. An overarching goal of the workshop will be to increase ongoing communication between agencies and individuals throughout the world that participate in mass stranding response and investigation. Presentations and discussions will address a number of topics including elements such as data collection, response protocols, and human safety guidelines, while simultaneously including the underlying theme of the role of animal welfare in response efforts.
* Improve mass stranding response globally through data and experience sharing
* Introduce and invite participation in the Mass Stranding Google Site
* Present a summary and related action items resulting from the IWC workshop on mass strandings as relevant to international responders, managers, industry representatives and researchers
* Discuss the use of common language and definitions
* Discuss opportunities for shared resources in mass stranding response
* Compile and disseminate data and protocols relating to mass stranding prevention and mitigation
* Identify emerging trends in mass stranding events
* Share approaches to response and new equipment to aid in response efficiency and welfare
We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco.
Program Manager | Marine Mammal Rescue and Research
IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare
290 Summer Street - Yarmouth Port, MA 02675
tel. 1.508.744.2273 email. bsharp at ifaw.org<mailto:bsharp at ifaw.org>
Stranding Hotline: 1.508.743.9548
Saving Animals in Crisis Around the World www.ifaw.org<http://www.ifaw.org/>
The content of this email is intended only for the use of the above-named addressee and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged. Please notify the sender if you received this email in error.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM