[MARMAM] Call for killer whale and long-finned pilot whale recordings

e.schrijver at savewave.eu e.schrijver at savewave.eu
Thu Sep 24 07:13:43 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

SaveWave is a Dutch eco-company that aims to reduce dangerous
interactions between marine wildlife and fishing activities world wide.
We have been successfull at reducing bird by-catch with our WWF award
winning SeaBird Saver last year.

Currently, there are many concerns for interactions between killer
whales ans longline vessels. For this we have developed a device that
can be used to emit a very wide range of sounds underwater to deter
killer whales from longlining vessels. Next to artificially built
signals, we would also like to tweak natural signals. Therefore we are
currently looking for signals from killer whales (Orcinus orca) and
long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas). During field work, a
strong reaction from killer whales to long-finned pilot whales was
observed, making trialing with these specific signals very interesting
indeed.

We are currently looking for signals that meet the following criteria:
"	Killer whale or long finned pilot whale clicks, whistles and pulsed
 	calls
"	Frequency between 6 and 30 khz
"	High quality recordings
"	Preferably long recordings (10 seconds and more)
"	Preferably .wav files
"	Killer whales: preferably residents
"	Recordings on both species during: socializing, interactions with
 	other pods, territorial and aggressive behavior.

If you would like to contribute to our cause, please contact me at
e.schrijver at savewave.eu for further information.

Best regards,

Ernst Schrijver

Marine Biologist