[MARMAM] SMM Conference - Stable Isotopes Workshop

Luis Huckstadt lahuckst at ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 23 16:36:57 PDT 2015

Dear all,

As the early bird deadline to register for the conference and workshop
approaches, we would like to extend the invitation to our workshop (
https://www.marinemammalscience.org/conference/workshops/#isotope) and
encourage students that might be interested in presenting a poster to
submit their abstracts for consideration to the email address
lahuckst at ucsc.edu.

Workshop Organizers:Luis Huckstadt and Seth Newsome

Workshop Description:

This full day workshop will be dedicated to marine mammal researchers
currently working or interested in using Stable Isotopes Analysis (SIA) to
study ecological, physiological and movement patterns of marine mammals.
SIA is a powerful tool in biological studies of cryptic species such as
marine mammals, and their use is increasing in our field. However, there is
a great potential for expansion and new studies, while we also need to
address the limitations and best practices when using this methodologies.
This workshop will cover (1) basics aspects about SIA (with special focus
on students and researches with limited knowledge on the field), (2) SIA in
diet studies (including trophic fractionation and turnover rates, use of
mixing models, and tools available to analyze data), (3) compound specific
SIA, where researchers we will address the potential of this novel
technique and present data on amino acid d15N and d13C, and (4) a session
on use of SIA to study life history and maternal strategies. The workshop will
also include a poster session, where students can display their research on
SIA and interact with colleagues and other students.

Registration for the workshop should be done through the conference website
(https://www.marinemammalscience.org/conference/workshops/)

Cost: $80 (Before Sept. 15th)

         $90 (After Sept. 15th)

For more information, please visit