[MARMAM] WIKIPEDIA workshop

Shane Gero shane.gero at bios.au.dk
Mon Sep 21 01:35:27 PDT 2015

Dear all,

We would like to repost the Wikipedia Workshop being offered at the SMM conference in San Francisco.

The Society is sponsoring the workshop so that it can be offered at the accessible price of only $20.

The workshop offered in conjunction with The Wiki Education Foundation will build skills in using Wikipedia itself, but also techniques and tools available for using Wikipedia in teaching, outreach, and science communication.

The workshop will also focus on using these new skills to advance current content on Wikipedia about marine mammals; and get attendees involved in the Society's Wikisprints which run biannually to update public content about the species we study and the conservation issues relating to them.

No publication in any journal will have the same daily impact in advancing public understanding as a well cited Wikipedia article which are accessed thousands of times a day. If you want your research to reach a wider audience, Wikipedia is a great way to do so.

Why not come learn how?

Sign up here: https://www.marinemammalscience.org/conference/workshops/#wikipedia

My best,
Shane