[MARMAM] New publication: JNCC guidelines for minimising the risk of injury and disturbance to marine mammals from seismic surveys: We can do better

A. Mel Cosentino orcasestrecho at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:36:16 PDT 2015

Dear Marmamers

We are pleased to announce the following publication in Marine Pollution
Bulletin

JNCC guidelines for minimising the risk of injury and disturbance to marine
mammals from seismic surveys: We can do better

Abstract
The U.K.’s Joint Nature Conservation Committee 1998 guidelines for
minimising acoustic impacts from seismic surveys on marine mammals were the
first of their kind. Covering both planning and operations, they included
various measures for reducing the potential for damaging hearing – an
appropriate focus at the time. Since introduction, the guidelines have been
criticised for, among other things: the arbitrarily-sized safety zones; the
lack of shut-down provisions; the use of mitigation measures that introduce
more noise into the environment (e.g., soft-starts); inadequate observer
training; and the lack of standardised data collection protocols. Despite
the concerns, the guidelines have remained largely unchanged. Moreover,
increasing scientific recognition of the scope and magnitude of
non-injurious impacts of sound on marine life has become much more
widespread since the last revisions in 2010. Accordingly, here we present
feasible and realistic recommendations for such improvements, in light of
the current state of knowledge.

The article can be downloaded from
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X15300096
Alternatively, you are welcome to send us a pdf request.

A. Mel Cosentino