[MARMAM] Call for Abstracts: Biologically-Enabled Ocean Observing session at Ocean Sciences meeting Feb 2016, New Orleans, LA. USA

Green, Rebecca rebecca.green at boem.gov
Mon Sep 14 07:20:36 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting your abstracts on marine mammal and related LMR
observing to our Ocean Sciences 2016 session (Feb. 21-26th, New Orleans).
Integration of active and passive acoustics, as well as other types of
bio-sensors (as described below) into ecosystem observing systems are
encouraged contributions to this session.  The deadline for abstract
submissions is *Wednesday, 23 September 23:59 EDT.*

*Session Topic:* Ocean Observing and Data Management

*Session ID:* 9235

*Session Title:* Evolving Biologically-Enabled Ocean Observing Systems:
Integrating Biological Observations with Physicochemical Measurements for
Informed Ecosystem-Based Decision Making

*Chairs:* Rebecca Green (BOEM), Gabrielle Canonico (IOOS), Barbara
Kirkpatrick (GCOOS), Heidi Sosik (WHOI),

*Coordinated with: *Jay Pearlman (J&F Enterprise), Samantha Simmons (MMC),
Francisco Chavez (MBARI)

*Session Description:*

The rapidly expanding efforts to integrate biological, physical, and
chemical measurements into a “whole ecosystem” understanding of coastal and
oceanic regimes will play an increasing role in informing conservation and
management needs.  Sustained, interdisciplinary observing now spans
spatial, temporal, and trophic scales, utilizing a wide variety of
platforms (e.g., moored observatories, gliders, profiling floats,
satellites) and  technologies, including rapidly advancing biological
observing capability, such as eDNA tools for assessing biodiversity,
in-situ bio-optical instrumentation for measuring planktonic assemblages,
acoustic telemetry for tracking tagged animals, and passive acoustic
monitoring of marine mammal vocalizations.  Expanding national and
international networks contribute to the Global Ocean Observing System
(GOOS), the Marine Biodiversity Observation Network (MBON), Animal
Telemetry Network (ATN) and Ocean Tracking Network (OTN), Ocean
Observatories Initiative (OOI), Ocean Networks Canada (ONC), Long-Term
Ecological Research (LTER), and other programs collecting long-term
biological observations.  Incorporation of living marine resources into the
ocean observing framework is a high priority as we strive toward a
long-term understanding of ecosystem trends to inform policy in a world
faced by multiple natural and anthropogenic stressors to our coastal and
marine environments.  This session will address both advances in sensors
and in systems necessary to achieve this long-term understanding.

We hope you will contribute your research and perspectives to this session!

Regards,

Session Organizing Team

*Rebecca Green, PhD*

*Senior Oceanographer*