[MARMAM] Call for Abstracts: Animal telemetry session at Ocean Sciences meeting Feb 2016, New Orleans, LA. USA.

Samantha Simmons SSimmons at mmc.gov
Wed Sep 2 08:25:07 PDT 2015

Calling all marine mammal biologgers,

(Apologies for cross-postings)
We are seeking abstracts for an Ocean Sciences (New Orleans, Feb 2016) session, Our Session ID#: 9647- Integrating Ocean Observing and Animal Telemetry - the US Animal Telemetry Observing Network (ATN).  Further details are given below.
We aim to make this an engaging session with an interdisciplinary, cross-taxon focus and opportunities for discussion with experts from across the fields of Animal Telemetry Community and Ocean Observing community.

Abstracts can be submitted at:  https://agu.confex.com/agu/os16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session9647
The submission deadline is 23 September 2015, 23:59EDT.

Session topics and description :

  *    Integration between ocean observing and animal tracking platforms- We welcome submissions of case studies that show the benefits of integration of animal telemetry instruments with ocean platforms (buoys, moorings, gliders etc.
  *   Animal oceanographers - We welcome submissions relevant to advances in aquatic animal borne sensors (ABS) and how oceanographic data collected by ABS is improving ocean model prediction skill and reducing uncertainty.
  *   ATN data use cases for management/decision making- We welcome submissions of case studies that show animal telemetry data used in fisheries management, protected and endangered species management, Invasive species and application to restoration efforts (oil spills, renewable energy etc.)
  *   Aquatic animal telemetry data management - We welcome submissions relevant to the complete life cycle of marine animal telemetry data stewardship, from proposal design and data management plans, through data handling, managing, storing, retrieving, interoperability with international animal telemetry systems, the development and implementation of open data/open science principles within the animal telemetry community, publication (including provision to WMO GTS) and preservation of animal telemetry data and how to eventually feed them to analyses tools publication and preservation.
  *   New technologies - We welcome submissions on new aquatic animal telemetry technology including sensors.
  *   The potential of networking to transform aquatic animal telemetry science- We welcome submissions of case studies that show the benefits of collaborative efforts (i.e. Network approach) to facilitate sharing of existing animal telemetry equipment, facilities, expertise and data to address local, regional and global scientific and management questions.
Many thanks on behalf of the session organizers:
Hassan Moustahfid (IOOS)
Michael Weise (ONR)
Molly McCammon (AOOS)
Samantha Simmons (MMC)

Samantha Simmons, PhD.
Assistant Scientific Program Director
Marine Mammal Commission, 4340 East-West Highway, Suite 700
Bethesda, MD 20814 (w) 301-504-0087  web: www.mmc.gov
The Marine Mammal Commission is an independent agency of the U.S. Government
Follow us on Twitter: @MarineMammalCom