[MARMAM] Ocean Science Consulting NZ DOC-approved MMO & PAM training course for experienced observers

OSC NZ Course Coordinator courses at osc-nz.co.nz
Thu Oct 29 10:06:11 PDT 2015

Ocean Science Consulting Limited (OSC) is running a Marine Mammal
Observer (MMO) and Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) training course for
experienced observers (must have 12 weeks experience), which has been
approved by the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC), as being
consistent with standards in the ‘2013 code of conduct for minimising
acoustic disturbance to marine mammals from seismic survey operations’
(the Code). OSC’s DOC-approved course was the first combined MMO and PAM
training available in the world for working in NZ waters, and our first
ever course ran successfully in May 2014. Our next course is scheduled
in December 2015.

OSC’s high-quality training involves responsive personal (including
one-to-one) tuition throughout, hands-on experience with
state-of-the-art PAM equipment during classroom theory and practical
sessions, and field practice aboard a vessel at sea.

OSC is a technology-focused marine science R&D company with over a
decade of experience in supplying commercial and scientific MMO and PAM
services to the offshore and other marine-related industries worldwide.
OSC has a company in New Zealand servicing the Asia-Pacific region
(www.osc-nz.co.nz <http://www.osc-nz.co.nz>), a company in the UK
operating worldwide (www.osc.co.uk <http://www.osc.co.uk>), and a branch
in Greece (www.oceanscienceconsulting.gr
<http://www.oceanscienceconsulting.gr>) servicing the Mediterranean and
neighbouring geographical waters. Our course instructors are highly
experienced and degree-level qualified scientists, practiced MMOs and
PAM Operators, and authors of the 'Marine Mammal Observer and Passive
Acoustic Monitoring Handbook’ (www.marinemammalobserverhandbook.co.uk
<http://www.marinemammalobserverhandbook.co.uk>), which forms the course
manual.

OSC’s knowledge and expertise is second-to-none, and DOC has set
exacting training standards, so this course is the obvious choice for
anyone wishing to train and prepare as a competent MMO and PAM Operator
to work anywhere in the world (please note additional local
qualifications and experience may be required).

The next course will be run in Wellington, New Zealand, for three days,
from 7–9 December 2015.

All candidates must have their own equipment, including reticle
binoculars (i.e. lens stencilled with measurements for range
estimation), handheld GPS, ID guide, and a laptop preloaded with NZ data
forms, software required for your GPS, and PAMGuard.

*To register for the course, please send your CV and a brief description
of why you want to attend this course to **courses at osc-nz.co.nz*
<mailto:courses at osc-nz.co.nz>*.*Your CV must give details (client,
location, type of industrial activity, role, duration, etc.) of your
offshore experience, as this course is only available for experienced
MMOs and PAM Operators. As per DOC requirements, a minimum of 12 weeks
sea time as a professional seismic MMO/PAM Operator anywhere in the
world is required to undertake this course.

***The deadline for applications is 20 November 2015.

*The full payment of $2,700 (NZD) is required to secure your position.
Course costs do not include accommodation or food, and candidates are
required to make their own travel arrangements to and from Wellington.

Please note that this is not simply an ‘attend-and-pass course’. In
accordance with DOC’s requirements, successful candidates must achieve
‘results of 75% and above’, although we will provide further
reassessment procedures for anyone initially scoring less than 75%. This
high pass mark is a key selling point for successful candidates to
demonstrate their knowledge and competence; furthermore, for candidates
who preform exceptionally, OSC may have opportunities for employment
and/or scientific research
(http://www.osc.co.uk/publications-and-press-covers).

We look forward to seeing you on our course soon.

--
MMO & PAM Course Coordinator
OSC NZ Ltd