[MARMAM] Announcing Plenary Speakers, Oral Sessions and Special Panels at the SMM 2015 Conference

Katherina Audley admin at marinemammalscience.org
Thu Oct 22 18:13:53 PDT 2015

Plenaries, Oral Sessions and Special Panels at the SMM 2015 Conference

The organizing committee of the 2015 Biennial Conference is proud to
announce our plenaries. We will change things up a bit and offer two shorter
plenaries each afternoon. We start on Monday morning with an opening plenary
by Peter Tyack, and continue that afternoon with a panel of scientists and
journalists, entitled: How to Make Your Science Matter, moderated by Nancy
Baron, COMPASS Director of Science.  This is very exciting, as our panel
consists of Marcia Mc Nutt, Editor in Chief of Science, Jane Lubchenko, U.S.
Science Envoy for the Oceans, Nick Gales, SMM President, Charles Littnan,
NOAA Fisheries, Ken Weiss, from the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, and
David Malikoff, from Science Magazine.  Our subsequent plenaries will
reflect themes from the Biennial: On Tuesday, Jennifer Francis (Rutgers
University) and Sue Moore (NOAA/NMFS) will discuss climate change.
Wednesday¹s speakers, Beth Shapiro (UC Santa Cruz) and Karina
Acevedo-Whitehouse (AU of Queretaro) will present emerging technologies.
Human Dimensions is the theme for Thursday, with plenary talks by Claudio
Campagna (Wildlife Conservation Society) and Mike Orbach (Duke University).
Our program is really taking shape! Find out more about our plenaries and
developing conference program here
<https://www.marinemammalscience.org/conference/conference-schedule/>
(https://www.marinemammalscience.org/smm-news/smm-conference-news/plenaries-
oral-sessions-and-special-panels-at-the-conference/). Stay tuned for more
announcements and a detailed scientific program coming mid-November. We look
forward to seeing you in San Francisco, its going to be great!