[MARMAM] marked seals Europe, any ideas?

Debbie Russell dr60 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Oct 20 03:06:58 PDT 2015

Dear all

In the last few months, two grey seals have been photographed in
southern UK with large numbers on their backs (please see attached).
It looks like the marks are in paint?
We have been in touch with seal researchers in Netherlands, Ireland,
Wales and France - none of who marked the seals. Thus it seems likely
the marks were put on at a rescue facility.
I would be grateful for any information on these marks. It would also
allow us to report re-sightings to the appropriate person.

Best wishes
Debbie Russell
Sea Mammal Research Unit

Dr Debbie Russell
Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU)
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling (CREEM)

Office:            +44 (0)1334 467281
Wednesdays: +44 (0)1334 461808

Postal address:
SMRU
Gatty Marine Laboratory
University of St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 8LB
UK

Twitter:
@_SMRU_
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532