[MARMAM] Marine Mammal Field Techniques and Humpback Whale Field Intensive Programs in Puerto Rico, USA

Mithriel MacKay mithriel.mackay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 09:49:55 PDT 2015

The Marine and Coastal Ecology Research Center (MCERC), a 501c3 non-profit
organization, is accepting registration for the following programs:

*Marine Mammal Field Techniques and Humpback Whale Field Intensive Program*

*                                                    Puerto Rico, USA*

Each week-long program is designed to build skills for field research and
is ideal for anybody interested in theodolite, acoustics, capture-recapture
methods, and behavioral studies. The program sessions also include learning
to use software for analysis. No experience is required or necessary to
participate in these programs.

The *Marine Mammal Field Techniques program* focuses on field methods that
apply broadly to marine mammal data collection. The Humpback whale Field
intensive is centered on team work and data collection specific to The
Puerto Rico Humpback Whale Project in Puerto Rico. Details can be found on
any of the websites listed below. Each program is an excellent opportunity
for an internship experience. There are three sessions for the Marine
Mammal Field Techniques program; Thanksgiving week, and the first two weeks
in January, 2016. There are 8 spots Thanksgiving week and 4 spots for each
session in January. Please note some spots are already filled and
availability is first-come-first-served. Snorkeling and swimming is a part
of each day’s ecology program. The cost of this program is $900USD.

The *Humpback Whale Field Intensive Program* has week-long sessions between
January and the end of April. Participants are a critical part of the MCERC
research team. This program includes long days and evening round-table
discussions that revolve around peer reviewed publications relevant to the
research and marine resources management applications.  There are 4 slots
for participants each week. Please note that some spots are already filled
and availability is on a first-come-first-served basis. The cost of this
program is $1300USD.

Program fees include a bunk at the field house, all meals, transportation
to and from all field sites, all boat excursions for collecting data, and
instruction. Program fees do not include the cost of airfare and
transportation to and from the field house in San Gérman, Puerto Rico, USA.
All program fees support research and education programs.

MCERC has had many students earn 3-4 credit hours with their faculty
adviser from their campus. If this option interests you, we have provided a
helpful document in our FAQ section of the websites for you and your
faculty adviser.

TO REGISTER: For access to the MCERC Education Hub and detailed
instructions for registering for a session, email MCERC.mail at gmail.com. No
forms necessary. Information on the Education Hub Home Page does not
require pass codes for the site.

Questions? Visit our websites and see who we are, what we do, and what you
can experience with us. Still have questions or interested in a
collaboration with MCERC for your college or university? Email
Mithriel at Marine-Eco.org.

MCERC Website ……………www.Marine-Eco.org

MCERC Education Hub … …www.Marine-Eco.org/mcerc-moodle

MCERC Photo Gallery……    www.Marine-Eco.Jimdo.com