[MARMAM] Third notice: distance sampling training workshops, August 2015, St. Andrews

Eric Rexstad er26 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed May 27 05:27:23 PDT 2015

The Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental
Modelling (CREEM) is hosting two linked workshops in the summer of 2015
in our purpose-built facilities at the University of St. Andrews,
Scotland. The aim of these workshops is to train participants in the
latest methods for design and analysis of distance sampling surveys,
including line and point transects. The workshops are taught by leading
researchers in the field, using industry-standard software.  We will be
using the latest version of Distance, Version 7, currently in test
release, available here:
http://distancesampling.org/Distance/distance70download.html

The first workshop (11-14 August) will run at an introductory level, and
will focus on distance sampling methods, largely described in the
standard reference book "Introduction to Distance Sampling." The
workshop will be a blend of theory and practice and participants will
learn how to use the program "Distance." Participants will gain a solid
grounding in both survey design and methods of analysis for distance
sampling surveys. 'Automated survey design' and 'incorporating
covariates in detection function' have moved from the advanced workshop
into the introductory workshop.

The advanced distance sampling workshop (17-20 August) will include
advanced treatment of:  analyses in which detectability on the transect
line is not assumed to be perfect (the so-called g(0) problem) and
spatial (or  density surface) modelling. We will showcase a series of
new R packages we have developed for performing standard as well as
sophisticated analyses in R. The aim of this workshop is to bring
participants up to date with the latest developments in distance
sampling methods and software. It is also an opportunity for those
actively engaged in the design, analysis and execution of distance
sampling surveys to discuss common issues and problems, and set future
research directions. The workshop will be a combination of lectures and
computer sessions, with considerable time for discussion.

For all workshops, participants are encouraged to bring their own data
sets, and can expect to do some preliminary analyses with their data.
Computer sessions take place in our computer classroom (attached to the
seminar room); participants can use our computers or bring their own
laptops.

Additional details regarding the workshop can be found at our website
http://creem2.st-andrews.ac.uk/workshops/distance-sampling-workshops-st-andrews-august-2015/

--
Eric Rexstad
Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment